Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
cassiemunga

Reged: 01/07/10
Loc: North Carolina
Signal strength and best phone for marginal area
      #35621 - 01/07/10 02:38 PM

OK - I live in the boonies 1/2 mile off road. Have Verzon Storm. reception is iffy at best. If I drive 1/2 mile to road I can get signal. I only have a few "sweet spots" at my house (even outside the house). Is there any difference in brands of phones and with a brands one better than the other and HOW can I find out what phone offers the best signal reception in iffy areas. I was on with Verizon tech suppot and they said to look at the SAR rating (which I "thought" was a measure of phone radiation emmisions) and does a higher SAR rating corrolate to best signal/antenae reception in marginal signal areas?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Signal strength and best phone for marginal area [Re: cassiemunga]
      #35627 - 01/07/10 07:21 PM

Yes some brands and models have better reception than others. Generally speaking, Motorola phones have stronger reception. The Motorola Droid has the best reception I've seen in quite some time on any Verizon phone. Our office is in a Verizon dead zone and it manages to get a good, usable signal instead of the usual one unstable bar.

The SAR rating does indeed indicate emissions and that doesn't always correlate with signal strength. Thus it's not really a reliable indicator.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

cassiemunga

Reged: 01/07/10
Loc: North Carolina
Re: Signal strength and best phone for marginal area [Re: LisaG]
      #35631 - 01/07/10 10:05 PM

Interesting - Which Droid - the one from Motorola or the Droid Eris? I just checked the SARs for the smartphones on Verizon's web ealrier today and the Droid Motorola (1.49/1.50) had the highest along with the older Blackberry 8703e (1.44/1.55). The Droid Eris was a bit lower (1.19/.78) My husband has the older Motorola 8703 and he gets better reception when he is here in NC.

Since I rarely talk with the phone to my ear and instead us speaker phone or a bluetooth Jabra in the car - I am not concerned that much with SAR.

Is AT&T any better in your office? I have friends with iPhones and I LOVE them but not sure how well the are in marginal areas.

Thanks for your input.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Signal strength and best phone for marginal area [Re: cassiemunga]
      #35634 - 01/08/10 10:23 AM

That Droid naming thing is a bit of a pain. I meant the Moto Droid. The Eris has average reception.

We're west of the Mississippi and so AT&T does have better coverage. Verizon generally does better than anyone else on the east coast, while AT&T does nicely in the west. Can you invite your iPhone-owning friend over to visit so you can see how the reception is? The iPhone isn't known for its strong reception, but you might have better coverage with AT&T or another carrier in your area. The best way to find out is to test it out and ask your friends who use other carriers.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6199

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage