General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Another, bigger OS update for the Nokia N900
      #35678 - 01/14/10 10:29 AM

A few days ago we saw a small 21 meg update for the Nokia N900 that brought beta Ovi Store support. Now we've got a much bigger 90 meg OS update. Your N900 will notify you of the download, but if it hasn't yet and you're in a rush, use the App Manager to check for updates. We suggest using the N900's WiFi connection if you won't want to spend an hour downloading.

This is the bug fix and a few new features update we've all been waiting for. I'm flashing my N900 now and will report back on what it fixes and adds. Right now it looks like Exchange 2003 support, tweaked Ovi Maps and performance and usability tweaks.

-

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Another, bigger OS update for the Nokia N900 [Re: LisaG]
      #35681 - 01/14/10 12:17 PM

OK, we are rocking with Exchange 2003 support.

BTW, I've been happily syncing Google contacts and calendar since day 1, despite lack of official compatibility. To do that, use MfE (Mail for Exchange) on the device and don't set it to sync email, just calendar and contacts. You can set up gmail in the email client instead (granted it won't be push). I've been syncing without error to Google for weeks now.

The web browser is faster and more responsive to a light touch when finger scrolling. Thanks to the Nokia Blog for discovering that you can enable portrait mode browsing by pressing Cntl-shift-o (letter o) when in the browser. Do this once and when you close the keyboard and rotate the N900 to portrait orientation, the screen will flip. Open the keyboard or rotate the N900 to landscape position and the screen will change back.

Ovi Maps route calculation and performance improved.

Email is faster with large inboxes.

Recording video uses less memory, AV sync issue fixed.

Added that previously missing voicemail shortcut.

Audio volume works with the + and - keys when playing Flash.

Improved charging over USB.

There's plenty more in OS 2.2009.51-1. The full list of changes is here: http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_5/PR1.1

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 62 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3540

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage