General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Video Review: Sony Reader Daily Edition PRS-900 eBook Reader with wireless
      #35530 - 12/30/09 07:14 PM

Yesterday we gave you our Sony Reader Daily Edition first look review with photos and now we've got our 14 minute video review. For those of you just tuning in, the PRS-900 is Sony's first eBook reader with wireless courtesy of ATT 3G. It has a 7.1 inch e-ink display that's a touch screen. It should be in stores in the coming weeks and you can buy books using the Sony desktop software for Windows and Mac or buy them and download them using the Reader itself. It also works with public libraries that offer eBooks in ePUB and PDF format and it works with Google books.

Here's our 14 minute video review that provides a comparison with the Sony Reader Touch Edition PRS-600 and the Kindle DX. We give you a walk through the new home screen, the store, PDF display and lots more.

We'll post our full written review in the next few days. In the meantime, feel free to post questions .

-

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kkw

Reged: 12/30/09
Re: Video Review: Sony Reader Daily Edition PRS-900 eBook Reader with wireless [Re: LisaG]
      #35533 - 12/30/09 08:58 PM

Excellent review. Very helpful in my ereader hunt. Kindle DX too big. My choices are down to the Kindle 2 and Sony Daily Reader. Question: It was noted that the previous Sony touch screen readers had less sharpness than Kindle, and that the Sony 600/700 had a lot of glare - is the contrast issue significant enough to opt for the Kindle, and has the glare issue been addressed with the Daily Reader?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Video Review: Sony Reader Daily Edition PRS-900 eBook Reader with wireless [Re: kkw]
      #35534 - 12/30/09 09:39 PM

Glare seems to be something of a personal issue. I would say that the Sony PRS-700 had too much glare and poor clarity compared to other e-ink readers. I loved the features but couldn't live with the glare and murky display.

The Sony Reader Touch PRS-600 doesn't bother me (there's some glare but not the loss of clarity I saw on the 700) and the Daily Edition 900 has perhaps just slightly less glare than the 900 and clarity that's very close to the Kindle 2, Kindle DX and Sony Pocket Edition 300.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

wmartin46

Reged: 01/05/10
Loc: California
Re: Video Review: Sony Reader Daily Edition PRS-900 eBook Reader with wireless [Re: LisaG]
      #35575 - 01/05/10 01:15 PM

Good Review .. And now some questions:

1) Is the Dictionary Stand-alone?
2) What is the memory capacity of each of the two external memory chips?
3) The internal memory is really 1.6Gb?
4) How does it work with 1,000 books downloaded? (There are problems with the PRS-505 design, and the PC library management Software keeps getting worse for large book counts, it seems).
5) Can people buy the external case from Sony?
6) Customer Support for the PRS-505 has been spotty. Can you check with Sony and find out about repair turn-around time and cost?

wmartin46

Reged: 01/05/10
Loc: California
Re: Video Review: Sony Reader Daily Edition PRS-900 eBook Reader with wireless [Re: wmartin46]
      #35576 - 01/05/10 01:32 PM

7) Could you perhaps test the battery longevity? With/without Wireless on. And also at different temperatures. (Battery efficiency is dependent on temperature.)
8) Could you time the downloads from the Sony e-book store using the wireless interface?

Thanks.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Video Review: Sony Reader Daily Edition PRS-900 eBook Reader with wireless [Re: wmartin46]
      #35577 - 01/05/10 01:51 PM

The dictionary is available both in-line when reading and standalone.

The memory capacity of the SD and Memory Stick Duo cards depends on what capacity card you buy. The SD card slot supports SDHC and it worked fine with my 16 gig card.

Yes, the available internal memory is really 1.6 gigs.

No idea how it works with 1k books, as I only have about 550 in my library and 300 on the device. The faster CPUs in the PRS-600 and PRS-900 do help a bit with large libraries.

As mentioned in the video review, the Case Logic zipper case is included with the PRS-900. No need to buy it separately.

You'd do better contacting Sony yourself to ask about repair times and costs for out of warranty units. PR folks rarely know much about repair centers and always put things in the best light while your contact with actual customer support personnel will be more telling.

Our full written review will be out later today and hopefully it provide you with more useful info.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Kurgan0789

Reged: 01/20/10
      #35724 - 01/20/10 12:19 PM

Can you increase the contrast on the 900? It seems that during your review there is more contrast. I'm not able to get the contrast you seem to have in the video.

About the glare, I've seen some anti-glare screen covers. Is this stuff a gimmick or does it really work?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Video Review: Sony Reader Daily Edition PRS-900 eBook Reader with wireless [Re: Kurgan0789]
      #35726 - 01/20/10 01:11 PM

There is no contrast setting on the Sony Reader or any other e-ink ebook reader we've reviewed. Good lighting increases contrast: just like a print book, it's easier to read with good light.

Anti-glare screen protectors aren't a gimmick, but they do often reduce contrast.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Kurgan0789

Reged: 01/20/10
      #35737 - 01/21/10 11:52 AM

Thanks. Can you recommend any particular brand?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Video Review: Sony Reader Daily Edition PRS-900 eBook Reader with wireless [Re: Kurgan0789]
      #35739 - 01/21/10 12:10 PM

I don't think there are any out for the PRS-990 yet since it's so new. Personally, I don't use one since the screen is quite durable and I don't mind the glare (but would mind reduced contrast).

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 20387

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage