Nokia betalabs has released an experimental tool that allows users to customize their own dictionary. The custom dictionary is used for storing your personal words that are used frequently while typing. These words are then used in predictive text input.
Nokia Custom Dictionary features:
* View all the words in your custom dictionary * Add new words to it * Edit and Delete existing words * Export the dictionary as xml file * Import words from an xml file * Scan text files to import all the words * Transfer your dictionary to another phone
Compatibility and system requirements
Nokia Custom Dictionary can be installed on S60 3rd and 5th Edition devices.
The application is fully functional on Nokia E71, Nokia E63, Nokia 5800 XPressMusic, and Nokia X6.
There might be some minor issues on Nokia N97, Nokia N97 mini, Nokia E72, Nokia E75, Nokia E55, and Nokia E52. Check the FAQ under More Info.
The application has limited functionality on Nokia N96, Nokia N95, Nokia N95 8GB, Nokia N82, Nokia N79, Nokia N78, and other older phones.
Nokia betalabs also has this FAQ for this app in case you run into problems:
Frequently asked questions
1) What happens if my dictionary is full?
Although the custom dictionary has a maximum size limit (which varies from device to device), adding entries after this limit is reached will not result in errors. Instead, the dictionary automatically removes the least used words from itself.
2) When I start the application, I get the message "This phone only supports backing up and adding words in dictionary". Why?
Your phone does not allow the custom dictionary to be edited. In other words, the application is not supported on your phone. You can still try to use it (press any key to continue past the message) but the results and words shown may not be correct. You will not be able to edit or delete a word in the dictionary. You can still choose the "Edit word" option to modify selected words before exporting the dictionary.
3) Why do I get an option to select a language?
Some phones (like N97, E72, and E55) store your personal words under the writing language active at the time. In such devices, you can switch views (languages) to see the different words under each language.
4) How does backup and transfer with phones that don't show the language option mentioned above?
Phones which maintain words under different languages will back up the language information as well. This can be imported by any other phone. Phones which do not maintain the language info, cannot store which language a particular word belongs to. When importing such data to a phone with language seperation, all the words are imported to the currently selected language in the application. If you want the same words available to another language, you will have to import it again and select the other language.
5) What are the import /export file formats?
The file is in a simple xml form and curious users are free to read and experiment with the file. But if the format is changed, usage of the manually modified file may lead to unpredictable results. The file extension is ?.word-list? to allow the file to be recognized easily by the application.
6) How do I open the sent or exported data and import words from it?
Just make sure you have "Nokia Custom Dictionary" installed on the phone and open the file from file manager or messaging or any other application. You should also be able to manually import from the file using the "Import" option in the application.
7) How do I import words from a text file?
Open the "Nokia Custom Dictionary" and choose "Options"->"Import list". Browse to the text file you want to read and select the file. The application will try to read words from the file and add it to the dictionary.
8) I deleted a word but it is still being used for prediction.
On some phones words that were used while typing is stored in a cache file. This cache may not be cleared when the word is deleted from the dictionary and this might cause the word to still be used for prediction. Just make sure you do not use the word again and it should eventually fall off the cache.
9) I have problems importing files. What do I do?
We have observed that importing files with some special accented characters might result in an error. If you do encounter a problem, please send us the exported file so that we can investigate your particular issue.
10) When I try to install the application, I get a "Certificate error". How do I proceed?