General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Video review part 2: HP TouchSmart TM2 tablet drawing and painting demo
      #35834 - 01/31/10 08:37 PM

In part 1 of our HP TouchSmart TM2 video review we covered the tablet PC's physical design and hardware features. In part 2 we take a look at digital art in action using the EMR pen and Wacom digitizer with pen pressure in Photoshop CS4, Corel Painter 11 and Art Rage 2.5.

We also take a look at finger painting using the capacitive touch screen and the bundled Core Paint Touch application (yes, it also supports the pen).

Lastly we take a look at HP's TouchSmart software which actually has some pretty neat apps that you non-hardcore graphic artists types might enjoy (heck even an artist can have fun with a virtual multi-media bulletin board for that matter). We also demo Microsoft Surface Globe from the included Windows 7 Touch pack-- it's the best and coolest mapping software on the planet!

Here's our 10 minute video review:

Part 3 will cover hardwriting with OneNote and a few other business and fun features.

Update: Read our full HP TouchSmart TM2 review.

-

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Edited by LisaG (02/02/10 09:03 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HoLo

Reged: 01/31/10
Re: Video review part 2: HP TouchSmart TM2 tablet drawing and painting demo [Re: LisaG]
      #35836 - 01/31/10 08:54 PM

Does it kind of lag at 2:20 when you do the rapid dots?

*Edit Do you think the 1.6 would have that problem? Or a video card option?
Thanks.

Edited by HoLo (01/31/10 08:56 PM)

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Video review part 2: HP TouchSmart TM2 tablet drawing and painting demo [Re: HoLo]
      #35837 - 01/31/10 09:03 PM

No actually it wasn't lagging at 2:20, I don't know why it looks that way in the video. Seems almost like the video frame rate slows or stutters there. Hopefully when YouTube has finished the final processing, it will have smoother frame rate and look much sharper. They're taking forever today!

The PCMark Vantage benchmark numbers with the 1.3GHz/integrated video version are much better than I expected, BTW. It managed a 3000 overall score which isn't bad at all. The latest crop of Intel CULV processors are quite something.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

HoLo

Reged: 01/31/10
Re: Video review part 2: HP TouchSmart TM2 tablet drawing and painting demo [Re: LisaG]
      #35838 - 01/31/10 09:07 PM

Alright, I'm sold. Thanks Lisa.

heatlesssun

Reged: 04/12/06
Re: Video review part 2: HP TouchSmart TM2 tablet drawing and painting demo [Re: HoLo]
      #35849 - 02/01/10 12:13 PM

Great job Lisa! I can't wait to see what you have to say about OneNote as this is my primary tablet application and I'm concerned about the slant of the unit slate portrait mode. For testing purposes I took my tx2 and tried to simulate a slate like the tm2.

Portrait feels a bit funny but something I might be able to get used to. I could see myself using landscape slate mode as my main tablet orientation as the hump actually helps a bit with this orientation.

Good job and looking forward to the next part of the review.

heatlesssun

Reged: 04/12/06
Re: Video review part 2: HP TouchSmart TM2 tablet drawing and painting demo [Re: heatlesssun]
      #35850 - 02/01/10 02:35 PM

Well I just ordered mine:

I used this and got $300 off:
Code: NBLB654877 (Exp after 1800 uses)

Just order the new HP tm2 Tablet PC and used this code and got $300 off!

HP TouchSmart tm2t customizable Notebook PC
? Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
? Intel(R)Core(TM)2 Duo SU9600 (1.60GHz, 800MHz FSB) w/512MB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 4550 Graphics
? 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
? 250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
? 12.1" diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP LED Widescreen (1280x800) with Integrated Touch-screen
? External Tray LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer
? Webcam + Fingerprint Reader - For HP Mobile Broadband only (WWAN)
? Intel Wireless-N Card with Bluetooth
? HP Mobile Broadband (Choose either Verizon Wireless, AT&T, or Sprint, service activation required)
? HP Color Matching Keyboard
? 50% OFF!! Extra 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
? Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
? HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

Grand total including taxes and two day shipping: $1655.12

Not bad for all of this at all, even if it weren't a tablet!

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Video review part 2: HP TouchSmart TM2 tablet drawing and painting demo [Re: heatlesssun]
      #35851 - 02/01/10 02:45 PM

Nice configuration you ordered and nice discount code!

--------------------
Lisa Gade

andrewbares

Reged: 02/01/10
      #35853 - 02/01/10 05:44 PM

Thanks for the reviews Lisa!!

Two questions

- How is battery life? I'm planning on using the TM2 for OneNote throughout the school day, so about 7 hours of use max. Think it'll hold through the day?

- Is that battery hump in the back of the laptop really annoying? I know you said it's useful if you have the screen showing, and you're writing on it like a slate, since it makes the surface slanted. But other than that, what about putting the tablet into a backpack? The tablet seems nicely thin except for that battery hump. Any comments are appreaciated!

I want this tablet so badly, it would be really useful in class....plus I can show it off as being 10x better than the iPad :P Oh and that coupon Heatlesssun posted doesn't work anymore (at least for me) but thanks! I look foward to your response, Lisa, and what a great website for tablets!

Andrew

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Video review part 2: HP TouchSmart TM2 tablet drawing and painting demo [Re: andrewbares]
      #35855 - 02/01/10 05:58 PM

Battery life is quite good but to get 7 hours use integrated graphics and set the brightness very low. Also turn off wireless. So far the best I've gotten is 5.5 hours with brightness set at 66% and WiFi on and active. But then I did spend time playing YouTube too .

The hump really isn't that large. I certainly don't see it as a problem when it comes to putting it in a backpack or bag.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#35856 - 02/01/10 06:01 PM

For those who are interesting in handwriting recognition and inking in MS Office OneNote and Word, part 3 of our video review covers that and you can check it out here.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

andrewbares

Reged: 02/01/10
      #35859 - 02/01/10 10:07 PM

YouTube is blocked at our school, soooo that won't be draining my battery :P haha.

That sounds really promising though! Just about to watch the third video review now! Thanks.

striker8686

Reged: 02/02/10
Re: Video review part 2: HP TouchSmart TM2 tablet drawing and painting demo [Re: andrewbares]
      #35872 - 02/02/10 06:36 PM

Is the EMR pen battery powered like the pen from the tx2000 and tx2z series?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Video review part 2: HP TouchSmart TM2 tablet drawing and painting demo [Re: striker8686]
      #35873 - 02/02/10 07:35 PM

It uses a batteryless Wacom EMR pen where the display provides power to the pen. Wacom Intuos, Cintiq and Bamboo tablet pens work the same way. Though not made by Wacom but N-TRIG, my TX2z's pen is also battery-free and works in a similar fashion.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

aroma

Reged: 02/07/10
Loc: California
      #35918 - 02/07/10 11:33 PM

Has anyone had to wait the entire build-time before their TM2 was shipped? Perhaps, a off chance of HP aiming projecting too high with the building time while realistically having it assembled in, say, 5 days and shipped? As would any other geek, I sure would like to have this in my hands as soon as possible.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 65 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13883

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage