General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Video Review: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 with US 3G and Android
      #36383 - 03/19/10 01:13 PM

We hope by now you've taken a look at our Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 photos and short writeup, and are now ready to watch our 8.5 minute video review.

We cover this high end Android phone's physical design, compare it with the Nexus One and iPhone 3GS, and dig into Sony Ericsson's custom software including Timescape and Mediascape. We test out YouTube playback and web browsing over AT&T's 3G HSDPA network and give Google Maps a demo.

The Xperia isn't released yet, so this is a pre-release model but it so far it's fairly quick and stable. That 1GHz Snadragon processor certainly helps in the speed department, and the 4" capacitive display is mucho responsive. This is certainly a lovely high end unlocked GSM Android phone.

Our full written review will be out in a few days. In the meantime feel free to post questions .

-

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
punyparker04
PDA Addict

Reged: 03/12/10
Re: Video Review: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 with US 3G and Android [Re: LisaG]
      #36387 - 03/19/10 01:35 PM

So this will not be released locked to a carrier, like say, oh I don't know, at&t?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Video Review: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 with US 3G and Android [Re: punyparker04]
      #36389 - 03/19/10 01:50 PM

We can hope, but nothing has been announced or even hinted at by the folks at SE.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

imneveral0ne

Reged: 03/19/10
      #36392 - 03/19/10 03:02 PM

navigation actually does work in 1.6. the option was there when you were in google maps right before you clicked on street view.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Video Review: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 with US 3G and Android [Re: imneveral0ne]
      #36393 - 03/19/10 03:30 PM

I meant spoken turn by turn directions as opposed to on-screen directions.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

andddlay

Loc: Michigan, United
Re: Video Review: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 with US 3G and Android [Re: imneveral0ne]
      #36394 - 03/19/10 03:38 PM

Thank you for this video! Saw it on YouTube, which then led me here to your site Glad I can add this to my frequently visited sites .

I have a question: As a phone, how does it feel while up to the ear? I'm afraid that since the device is a large handset it may not feel very comfortable.

I'm also concerned that the device wont come pre-installed with Google Map's navigation voice feature. How does WisePilot compare to Google Map's navigation? I am an avid user of my current phone's spoken turn-by-turn, so I would like to make sure that it can tell me when to turn while driving. :P

Thank you

Edited by andddlay (03/19/10 03:44 PM)

imneveral0ne

Re: Video Review: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 with US 3G and Android [Re: andddlay]
      #36396 - 03/19/10 03:43 PM

yes, you can chose directions, or navigate, navigate is the spoken turn by turn navigation.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Video Review: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 with US 3G and Android [Re: andddlay]
      #36397 - 03/19/10 04:17 PM

How it feels against your ear in a call is somewhat subjective. I'm accustomed to using the Nexus One, iPhone and HTC HD2, so it feels fine to me . But for someone who's never used a large smartphone it would probably feel like a small brick.

As it turns out, Google voice navigation is on board! Don't know how SE managed that but it is there.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#36399 - 03/19/10 05:28 PM

Right you are, it does have spoken directions!

Quote:

yes, you can chose directions, or navigate, navigate is the spoken turn by turn navigation.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

andddlay

Loc: Michigan, United
      #36400 - 03/19/10 05:30 PM

One more question I thought of...

Does the X10 push e-mail? I remember reading that G1 could, but for only one account. This feature is also a much-used feature of my current phone besides voice navigation.

And kinda an opinion question, would you imagine the white X10 being more elegant than the black X10?

I'd just like to make sure before I drop $800 for it :P

Thanks Lisa!

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#36401 - 03/19/10 07:06 PM

Color is really, really a matter of personal preference. I haven't seen the white one in person, which makes it even harder. That said, I'm leaning toward black.

Gmail is pretty much instantaneous and the phone comes with Moxier to handle MS Exchange Active sync Direct Push email.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

bhanuteja

Loc: Dallas, TX
      #36405 - 03/19/10 11:57 PM

Hi Lisa I was wondering whether there is an option where you can have the native android interface enabled instead of the Rachel UI like in the HTC Android Phones. Also apart from Timescape and Mediascape applications are there any other native SE applications preinstalled?

Thank You.

imneveral0ne

Re: Video Review: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 with US 3G and Android [Re: bhanuteja]
      #36406 - 03/20/10 02:14 AM

you can download an app from market called home switcher, it'll let you chose between whatever home you wanna use, IE - sense ui, or basic home.

and yeah, when navigation was first released it was for 2.0 or 2.1 only, but they made it work for 1.6 sometime not too later as well. i was bummed cause i was stuck on 1.5 with my sprint hero, but now im good since i have 2.1 on my hero as well

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#36415 - 03/20/10 10:39 AM

The SE user interface isn't overwhelming like MOTOBLUR. You can put any Android widgets you want on the homescreen and remove the SE icons and widgets from the homescreen. Or you can use an app that does it for you as imneveralOne said..

--------------------
Lisa Gade

perlanchor

Reged: 03/20/10
      #36417 - 03/20/10 11:58 AM

What a beautiful,gorgeous phone! Xperia here i come babe!

i have been using SE P910 since early 2005 up until now! I haven't had a need to even replace the battery yet (i recharge every two days). I have been wanting to get a new phone but the latest iphones,nexus1,htc etc are not proven yet. My SE P910 once fell into slush icy puddle. I opened it up, removed battery, circuits and dried it. It worked immediately. Now that's reliable! My friend spilled a drink onto his iphone by mistake while we were dining and that was the end of it. He couldn't even open it.

I was waiting for these phones to catch up to my P910 features. my old P910 has GPS (external module),subway routes of all major cities in the world, office docs, pdf reader, 3D-games, music, video,spy apps,email and well gprs. I feel X10 is worth a transition cuz the only thing i am really upgrading to is 3G. However, the 1.6v software is something i am not sure of. Anyway I will wait for black friday to buy it, hopefully the unlocked version will be cheap and SE will have sorted out their software upgrade issues. Good video review Lisa!

Edited by perlanchor (03/20/10 12:09 PM)

liteon163

Reged: 03/20/10
Re: Video Review: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 with US 3G and Android [Re: perlanchor]
      #36421 - 03/20/10 12:32 PM

I have some pretty serious comparisons to make in the next few months...

I've had SE phones on AT&T for the last six years (and an Ericsson phone before that), so I am really looking forward to the X10 soon coming to AT&T. To me, it's a foregone conclusion and my first choice. I'd like to compare this to the HTC Desire, also rumored to be soon coming to AT&T. I just hope AT&T doesn't cripple them with their crapware. If AT&T does "ruin" these with their crap, I may end up looking at the HTC Supersonic on Sprint. And there's always the Nexus One.

But I REALLY want the X10, hands down.

Edited by liteon163 (03/20/10 12:35 PM)

julianx10

Reged: 03/21/10
      #36443 - 03/21/10 05:08 PM

Hello Lisa,can you try out this website on the SE xperia X10??

It is a russian website where you immediatly can download millions of mp3?s without using a program like limewire.

It would be so cool when you could immediatly download songs via your xperia x10 from the internet:D

Edited by LisaG (03/21/10 06:40 PM)

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Video Review: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 with US 3G and Android [Re: julianx10]
      #36446 - 03/21/10 06:42 PM

Doesn't look like you can download using the Xperia.

I've deleted your link since we're a US site and we have laws that say such sites are a no-no.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Tectonic

Reged: 03/26/10
      #36526 - 03/26/10 06:06 AM

Hi Lisa, great video review, I am seriously considering this phone and I have a few questions is if it is able to be upgraded to Android 2.1 and if Ericsson would ever upgrade to 2.1. My other question is how the battery life is, I have heard that the snapdragon drains the battery quickly. Thanks!

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Video Review: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 with US 3G and Android [Re: Tectonic]
      #36548 - 03/27/10 08:12 PM

We'll ask Sony Ericsson about an upgrade to 2.1. I have a hunch the answer is that it will come (but who knows how soon).

Battery life isn't impressive. It's better than MOTOBLUR phones but that large display, 3G and 1GHz CPU are power hungry. With little use it lasts 2-3 days. With moderate use, I have to charge it nightly. It does make it through the business day unless I use WiFi plus the GPS for an hour during the day.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 26197

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage