MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
nounou

Reged: 05/06/10
Loc: Greece
ebook reader for Europe?
      #36987 - 05/06/10 10:17 PM

Hello,
I am interested in buying an ereader, I want it to have e-ink technology, be quite quick when you turn pages. I am not interested in Wi-Fi or buying books from sites (ok if this is available why not) but mainly I want to upload my own books and these books to be readable.

I have plenty of ebooks, mainly pdf, which I want to read sometime and be able to upload them to an ereader and start reading. Is that possible?Do you think I will have problems readings these pdf files? Oh and if these pdf files are saved as images can an e-reader read them or do I have to transform them into another form?

The perfect e-reader for me would be one that uses e-ink technology, be able to keep notes, hightlight and transfer all your notes to the computer but I don't think that something like that has been invented yet. I was considering of buying Sony PRS600 but I read a lot of bad comments about the glare due to the touchscreen so I was disappointed.

So considering my needs, is there any e-reader you could suggest for Europe, or do I have to wait until e-readers are perfected?

P.S: I have looked at the Nook and PRS500 which sound really good but I don't know whether these are designed mostly for USA or for all countries. Anyway I will really appreciate your help.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: ebook reader for Europe? [Re: nounou]
      #36988 - 05/07/10 12:35 AM

The Sony Reader PRS-660 and PRS-900 do the notes and transfer to PC, but as you noted there is some glare and reduced contrast. The nook is US only, and the Sony PRS-500 is long discontinued (and I wouldn't get one even if you could find it used since screens have improved since it was made and it has a slower CPU).

For Europe, how about the IREX DR800? They have beta firmware that adds note-taking (though no syncing to a PC). It's fairly fast and the larger 8" display is much better suited to PDFs than 6" readers.

E-readers do have image viewers for PDFs converted to images but that would be a tedious way to read on an e-ink reader-- I'd stick with PDF format.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

nounou

Reged: 05/06/10
Loc: Greece
Re: ebook reader for Europe? [Re: LisaG]
      #36996 - 05/07/10 06:11 PM

thanks a lot for your help. At first, I was thinking of buying sony prs-505 but since you don't recommend it I would go for another one. If they didn't say such things for the glare and the contrast, I would definitely buy 600, though I am still considering of buying it. Is it really hard to read something on it and does it really cause eye strain? I read good things here at your review.

I will look at IREX too, although it is on the expensive side.
Thanks anyway

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: ebook reader for Europe? [Re: nounou]
      #36998 - 05/07/10 08:17 PM

I don't recommend the Sony PRS-500, I do however recommend the PRS-505 (if you can find one since Sony discontinued them). However it's 6" is really too small for PDF viewing and it lacks PDF zooming.

The PRS-600 and PRS-900 aren't terrible by any means. It would be great if you could find one to look at locally to see how it strikes you. There is glare but it's not a mirror like a gloss screen laptop. I didn't suffer much eyestrain as long as I read with good ambient lighting or a book light.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3939

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage