General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Video: MeeGo running on an Acer netbook
      #37221 - 05/27/10 06:07 PM

You probably saw the news yesterday that MeeGo is available for download for the Nokia N900 Maemo smartphone and netbooks. MeeGo is the marriage of Moblin Linux from Intel with Nokia's Maemo OS used on the N900 and older Nokia Internet Tablets.

We installed MeeGo on our 2 year old Acer Aspire One netbook with a 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 1 gig of RAM and an 8.9" display. We're talking one of the original netbooks here, so it's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. But it turns out MeeGo and the little Acer were both up to the task, as you'll see in our video.

MeeGo is free to download from www.meego.com and the netbook image is 800 megs. You'll use a disc imaging program to put that 800 meg image file on a USB drive (a straight copy won't work but there are plenty of free disc image burners knocking around the Net). Then you can either boot from the USB drive to give MeeGo a test, or install it on the computer's hard drive. Nice to have that try before you cry option.

There are a few things that pleasantly surprised us: MeeGo runs very quickly on the old Acer and everything worked-- we mean everything: Fn keys for brightness and volume, audio, video, the webcam. It was shockingly quick and painless to install and we didn't have to tweak a thing. Sweet.

The OS isn't exactly full of eyecandy but the navigation and UI are intuitive, fresh and friendly. If you're afraid of Linux and aren't a tinkerer, MeeGo is your speed. Of course you Linux geeks can tweak and hack all you want.

The basics are there: the Google Chrome web browser with Flash, an email program, heavy IM support for most every service, a music player, a video player and Twitter. So do check out the video and see if MeeGo might breath life into your old netbook too.

-

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
FORDOC

Reged: 05/04/10
Re: Video: MeeGo running on an Acer netbook [Re: LisaG]
      #37226 - 05/28/10 09:55 AM

What is the chance you have a n900 laying around? Would love to see it running MeeGo.

I don't know if I want to give up my Maemo 5. I have come to love the platform.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Video: MeeGo running on an Acer netbook [Re: FORDOC]
      #37227 - 05/28/10 10:04 AM

Nothing to demo yet for the Nokia N900, I'm afraid. MeeGo is available for the N900 but it's a developer release without a GUI (graphical user interface). Seeing the N900 looking like a baby Linux terminal isn't that exciting .

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
      #37233 - 05/28/10 12:23 PM

Quote:

Nothing to demo yet for the Nokia N900, I'm afraid. MeeGo is available for the N900 but it's a developer release without a GUI (graphical user interface). Seeing the N900 looking like a baby Linux terminal isn't that exciting .

Speak for yourself!

For some reason, I'm curious whether you could Boot-Camp this onto, say, a MacBook Air.

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Video: MeeGo running on an Acer netbook [Re: Jacob_Spindel]
      #37234 - 05/28/10 12:49 PM

Hmmm... will a Mac boot from a USB drive that has ISO format? I know a GUID formatted drive should work but how about ISO?

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
      #37235 - 05/28/10 01:32 PM

I tried to do some research... this page references installing on a Mac, but beyond that I'm more confused than ever!

I wasn't really going to try it anyway. I was just pondering.

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Video: MeeGo running on an Acer netbook [Re: Jacob_Spindel]
      #37236 - 05/28/10 01:42 PM

Those are the instructions I used to create my image on a USB drive. The Mac section tells you how to use Diskutils to make an image but it doesn't say anything concrete about booting a Mac with it afterwards.

I tried booting my Mac Pro from the drive (by holding the option key at boot to get a boot selection) and all that did was hang the Mac with a gray screen.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8227

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage