General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
iPhone 4 announced at WWDC
      #37330 - 06/07/10 01:10 PM

Steve Jobs' demo of the iPhone 4 got a little rocky with both WiFi and 3G networks overloaded at WWDC today where he finally let the world see the new iPhone.

New features: "retina display" with 326ppi pixel density (old school monitors are 72 dpi for comparison). The resolution is 660 x 640 and the screen size remains 3.5". The contrast ratio is 800:1 and it's a IPS glass display.

The iPhone 4 runs on Apple's new A4 CPU, and the battery is larger so usage time is supposedly improved to 7 hours 3G talk time.

The camera uses a backside illuminated sensor for better image quality and the resolution is 5 megapixels. There's an LED flash, 720p video recording at 30fps and a new app: iMobie for iPhone (really). The catch? You have to pay $4.99 for iMovie for the iPhone.

FaceTime is Apple's new 2-way video calling for iPhone 4 to iPhone 4 only. In 2010 it works only on WiFi (Apple is working with carriers to expand that to 3G) and it's free (beyond the cost of 2 iPhone 4 smartphones- ha!). No buddy lists or signups required, just press the FaceTime button when in a call to start a video call. Both front and rear cameras are supported.

The new iPhone adds a gyroscope sensor which should be great for gaming and WiFi now supports 802.11n.

iBooks is coming to the iPhone, and it looks like a miniature version of the iPad app. You can download purchased books to your iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch.

The design is what you've seen in recent leaks, though it's apparently thinner than it looks and is thinner than the iPhone 3GS. Measurement? 9.3mm thick.

The phone will run iPhone OS 4 with multi-tasking (at least in a controlled fashion), folder organization and more.

Price? $299 for the 32 gig iPhone 4 and $199 for the 16 gig iPhone 4 with a 2 year AT&T contract. It's available in two flavors: black and white. AT&T has moved up renewal dates up to 6 months, so you might just qualify now.

Release date: June 24th for the US, UK, Germany, France and Japan.

You can pre-order it starting June 15, 2010.

-

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: iPhone 4 announced at WWDC [Re: LisaG]
      #37333 - 06/07/10 01:54 PM

Jobs says the upgrade eligibility will be offered to anyone whose contract expires anytime in 2010. Mine doesn't expire until 2012! Blurg.

Did you notice that the iAds demo featured an ad that said "Toy Story 3 - June 18," even though iAds is supposedly not going live until July 1?

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: iPhone 4 announced at WWDC [Re: Jacob_Spindel]
      #37334 - 06/07/10 02:07 PM

Well, they do have to demo it with some kind of ad content, so why not promote Jobs' own Pixar?

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: iPhone 4 announced at WWDC [Re: LisaG]
      #37337 - 06/07/10 03:58 PM

Yeah, but it just seems strange to me that they created an iAd for the demo that they can presumably never use for real, unless they modify it.

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 70 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5122

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage