General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Amazon retailiates: Kindle 2 price dropped to $189
      #37519 - 06/21/10 02:17 PM

In a "take that, Barnes and Noble" move, Amazon just dropped the price of the Kindle 2 from $259 to $189, making it ten bucks cheaper than the just price-reduced nook 3G. Amazon still doesn't have an answer to the new nook Wi-Fi model that sells for just $149. And so far there's no price drop for the 9.7" Kindle DX whose real competitor is likely the iPad more than any other e-ink ereader.

While the price of ebooks has risen thanks in part to Apple's iPad and the strengthening of the agency model for book pricing, it looks like the hardware prices are going to continue spiraling down. That's great because it gets the technology in more hands, but we do hope it doesn't stifle hardware innovation and new feature deployment.

Our Kindle 2 review: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/gadgets/Amazon-Kindle-2.htm

-

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: Amazon retailiates: Kindle 2 price dropped to $189 [Re: LisaG]
      #37532 - 06/21/10 06:47 PM

That was fast!

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Amazon retailiates: Kindle 2 price dropped to $189 [Re: Jacob_Spindel]
      #37534 - 06/21/10 07:53 PM

Seriously fast! This is starting to remind me of corner gas station price wars .

--------------------
Lisa Gade

RobertD

Reged: 06/22/10
Re: Amazon retailiates: Kindle 2 price dropped to $189 [Re: LisaG]
      #37539 - 06/22/10 01:17 AM

Quote:

That's great because it gets the technology in more hands, but we do hope it doesn't stifle hardware innovation and new feature deployment.

I have a sister named LisaG from Texas...what are the odds, nah....

Still it makes me feel familiar, so, I'll strike a personal tone...sounds like someone doesn't know how capitalism works, Sis......hahahahaa

Getting the technology in more hands, is called widening your sales base...competition does drive the price down, but that desire to keep the price up leads to product differentiation, you'll see accelerated development and new feature deployment.

But you know what...you can't convince someone and anyway it doesn't matter.
I like idealism, I support the young idealist.

Lets get a petition together and get Amazon to raise that price right on back up to $259. I'm going to support you all the way, let's get it done!

Edited by RobertD (06/22/10 01:18 AM)

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Amazon retailiates: Kindle 2 price dropped to $189 [Re: RobertD]
      #37543 - 06/22/10 10:06 AM

I didn't mean that inexpensive readers aren't wonderful. They are great, and they do get the technology into more folks' hands.

But in addition to the price of technology dropping for existing and old tech, as it always does, I'd like to see some new and innovative products in these companies' portfolios. That provides the differentiation you mention and keeps the seasoned ereader buyers interested. It also keeps the space lively so these products don't turn from being the hottest tech of 2009 to forgetten by 2011. Remember, these e-ink readers also have to compete against the iPad-- they need bells and whistles to do that. The price of the iPad will creep down over time and low priced e-ink may not be enough of a differentiator. Both price and features sell tech. It's not idealist, it's a fact of today's tech-- look at Apple's iPod, iPhone and iPad. Certainly price isn't what make these sell so well that they can't make enough of them.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 53 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5434

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage