Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
iPhone Game Review: Hexius
      #37603 - 06/25/10 01:36 PM

iPhone Game Review: Hexius
Reviewed by Cean Park

If you're looking for a new type of matching game, Hexius is the app for you. Quick paced fingers and strategist choices are essential for playing this game. Blasting your way through all the hexagons, you'll find yourself immersed in the world of colorful and bubbly hexagons in no time! Who said puzzle games are boring?

Gameplay

Gameplay in Hexius is pretty simple: Select hexagons with the same color and shape. There are 3 different gameplay modes: Time Attack, Level Challenge, and Strategy Mode. In Time Attack, you try to get as many points as you can in 90 seconds. In Level Challenge, you must destroy all targets on the field before time runs out, with time being added after the completion of each level. In Strategy Mode, you get 30 moves to get as many points as you can.

While this all might seem simple and straightforward at first, you will realize that to score higher, you must put several different types of bonuses in play, including Freeze, Reveal, and Bomb bonuses. To get a Freeze Bonus, which slows down time, you must surround one or more hexagons. To acquire a Reveal bonus, which highlights hexagons you need to select, you must cross over the right hexagon, rather than to touch it. Bomb bonuses are created when you cross any hexagon twice. Bomb bonuses cannot be touched, but when destroyed, they explode, destroying many surrounding hexagons in the bomb's vicinity. Hexius also features OpenFeint, a social gaming network that allows you to track achievements, scores and games alongside with other global players.

Graphics

Graphics are pretty simple, but good enough for enjoyable gameplay. Hexius' graphics prove the point that flashy gameplay can play just as an important role as flashy graphics, or maybe more in Hexius case. Shapes in Hexius are pretty unique and very pleasant to the eye. Controls are sometimes frustrating, because the small hexagon sizes can cause occasional miss-touches.

Sound

Sadly, there is no background music when you play the game, but there are a lot of sound effects especially when bonuses activate. The game doesn?t have in-game iPod music support, but the awesome sound FX makes up for the absence of music.

Conclusion

Hexius can be a perfect game for an avid puzzle gamer who is looking for a new twist in puzzle games. The gameplay is fun and addictive, graphics are adequate and sound FX is fascinating. The game has an update waiting for approval at Apple that will integrate the global scores into the games menus in the same way that friends scores currently are. Also, it will convert Hexius to a universal app, bringing HD graphics when run on an iPad.

Ratings (scale of 1 to 5):

Graphics: - 5 - Graphics are pleasing to the eye, easy to differ one from another
Sound: - 4.5 - Very amusing sound FX, although lacking background audio
Controls: - 4.5 - Very fun, but hard to learn at first, icons are a bit small
Gameplay: - 5 - Gameplay is very fun, high replay value

Playing Hints and Tips:

-When in Level Challenge mode, pay attention to the time very often and look carefully and focus on destroying targets, not to get points.

-When in Strategy mode, take your time and decide where you will get the most points.

-When in Time Attack mode, focus on quick paced strategist decisions

App Facts:
Developer: Phasic Labs
Release Date: June 17, 2010 (1.1.2 update)
Price: $1.99
Buy App: Hexius

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
spaztrigger
PDA Addict

Reged: 05/17/10
Loc: Texas
Re: iPhone Game Review: Hexius [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #37617 - 06/25/10 09:40 PM

..............................................................................................well looks like my buddy Cean can review games..............................

--------------------
A proud reviewer of MobileTechREview!

PhasicLabs

Reged: 06/28/10
Loc: Liverpool, UK
Re: iPhone Game Review: Hexius [Re: spaztrigger]
      #37637 - 06/28/10 04:39 AM

Hi all, and thanks for the review!

I'd just like to point out that you should be able to listen to iPod music when playing Hexius (and you can turn the sound effects off from the settings menu too). I tested it just now and it seems to work, but you could have found a strange bug

I've got some US App Store promo codes here for your readers - please post a reply if you use one though, and please review Hexius in the app store!

MPYF3XLJNL3F
7F4HNWX9LJPH
YLPE6LFTT97T
NHWFX3TN3E7E
MRK49RT463AH
7LFML7XKFHW7

All the best,
Paul
Phasic Labs.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 10448

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage