General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
B&N releases nook update 1.4, finally adds go to page feature
      #37508 - 06/21/10 02:50 PM

My word, the day is finally here when we get a "go to page" feature on the Barnes and Noble nook eBook reader. Awesome, now we won't have to wear out the page forward and back buttons trying to jump many pages in a book.

The update also includes extended AT&T WiFi support, so your nook can connect to any AT&T WiFi hotspot in the country easily and for free.

Lastly, there's a new extra large font size.

The update is 61 megs and you'll have to download it over WiFi to your nook. If your nook isn't finding the update quickly enough or if you're not near WiFi, you can download it to your computer and copy the updater over USB to the nook. Just put the updater at the root level (not in a folder) of the nook and the ereader will see the update and automatically install it. My nook ran the update in 3 minutes.

In other good news, Barnes & Noble has dropped the price of the original nook with 3G by $50 to $199.

Our nook review: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/gadgets/nook.htm

The 1.4 software update is available here: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/

-

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rhpatrick22

Reged: 06/25/10
Loc: Quincy, Ma
Re: B&N releases nook update 1.4, finally adds go to page feature [Re: LisaG]
      #37608 - 06/25/10 10:28 PM

Since I have my eye on the WiFi Model, has anyone had a chance to download the firmware 1.4 to the Nook; see the new features, and finally give it some kudos after "bad press releases" simply because the updates were; not installed/not available
Appreciate any assistance as this appears to be the model that has "versatility"
Thank you in advance!
Robert

--------------------
Robert H Patrick

rhpatrick22

Clarification! [Re: rhpatrick22]
      #37609 - 06/25/10 10:39 PM

So I will be prepared, I had asked about the firmware update since there were so many "bad press" reviews on this item; I also wrote to Walt Mosberg of the Wall Street Journal and simply asked him if he checked the version during his review; I have not heard back from him. I suppose I wish that "common sense" be used as the most current software is what you need; that has been missing, and bad press" has taken place!
Robert

--------------------
Robert H Patrick

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Clarification! [Re: rhpatrick22]
      #37611 - 06/25/10 11:35 PM

Walt reviewed the nook way before the significant firmware updates came out that addressed early complaints. Reviewers typically don't get to keep review units that companies send to them, so I'm sure his review unit was gone long before those updates came out.

I actually own a nook and several of the other ebook readers. That's why I update our nook review from time to time when new features come out. The same goes for our IREX review and I still need to get around to updating the Kindle 2 review to mention the new features .

--------------------
Lisa Gade

rhpatrick22

Re: Clarification! [Re: LisaG]
      #37613 - 06/26/10 01:04 AM

Many thanks Lisa,
What you have said is true, but looking at the installed version during a review takes the guess work out of a "first review" As the Nook is at 1.4 with a "lite version" only WiFi the latest firmware makes sense; this will be my E Reader unless there is one that has an easier battery replacement, and SD upgrade!
Thank you Lisa!

--------------------
Robert H Patrick

rhpatrick22

Kindle Battry replacement! [Re: rhpatrick22]
      #37614 - 06/26/10 01:11 AM

Lisa, as a favor please look at the posted on You Tube video of the replacement of the battery on the Kindle 2; I would happily supply the link except I am not sure if in replacing the battery would void the warranty.
The video has the Ravel Bolero in the background, and a couple of tools are supplied.
Please let me know; the video is on You Tube under Kindle battery replacement
Thank you in advance Lisa!
Robert

--------------------
Robert H Patrick

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Kindle Battry replacement! [Re: rhpatrick22]
      #37615 - 06/26/10 02:31 AM

If you search on Amazon.com you'll see a few listings for aftermarket replacement Kindle 2 batteries! It's not hugely hard to do if you're experienced at disassembling electronics. But if that's not something you're comfortable with, I'd opt for an ereader with a user replaceable battery like the nook. The IREX also has an easily replacable battery but they've declared bankruptcy so it's probably not a good time to buy one of their products.

But e-ink ebook readers have very long battery life, especially if you turn off wireless when you don't need it. And given how infrequently they require charging, the battery should be good for several years before it needs replacing.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

rhpatrick22

Re: Kindle Battry replacement! [Re: LisaG]
      #37625 - 06/26/10 05:49 PM

You are so right Lisa! That's why my eye has been on the Nook!
Many thanks!
Robert

--------------------
Robert H Patrick

rhpatrick22

Nook WiFi! [Re: rhpatrick22]
      #37626 - 06/26/10 06:31 PM

Dear Lisa,
My last question on the Nook; on the WiFi connection, do I have to enter a password as I believe it has 802.11 b/g but not n or a? I know it connects to the store using WiFi but depending on where you are and how close you are to Wi Fi, I am just asking.
Thank you in advance Lisa!
Robert

--------------------
Robert H Patrick

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Nook WiFi! [Re: rhpatrick22]
      #37628 - 06/26/10 09:05 PM

When in a Barnes and Noble store, you don't have to enter a password to use WiFi on the nook. If you're using some other WiFi hotspot service, you might have to-- it's up to the folks running the particular network.

The nook has WiFi 802.11b/g. No a or n.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

rhpatrick22

Sony Daily Edition [Re: LisaG]
      #37629 - 06/26/10 10:02 PM

I came across this beauty, and while expensive(with the added carry case; has what the Nook has, in most cases is the SD card at 1.6 expandable to say 4 -6-8 etc. As I look at the Nook, since I have a slight right side paralysis, I might have difficulty in using the keyboard(not sure) If I am right then an altrnative would be in order.
Thank you in advance!
Robert

--------------------
Robert H Patrick

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Sony Daily Edition [Re: rhpatrick22]
      #37630 - 06/27/10 01:50 AM

The Daily Edition is indeed a beautiful piece of hardware and prices are coming down. I've seen it on sale for $299 lately. The only drawback is the touchscreen-induced glare as I mentioned in our review. It's not terrible but it's not as matte and paper-like as non-touchscreen e-ink. If you can make it to your local Best Buy, you can see both the nook and Sony Reader Daily Edition in person.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 14451

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage