Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
iPhone Game Review: Superblox: Powers Unleashed
      #37574 - 06/23/10 09:59 PM

iPhone Game Review: Superblox: Powers Unleashed
Reviewed by JadeDragon

Puzzle game is one of the most competitive genres on the iPhone and iPod touch. There are many titles to choose from, but many are pedestrian. Once in a while however you get a crowd pleaser that catches your attention and keeps you coming back for more. Superblox: Powers Unleashed falls into this category with an exciting gameplay and eye-catching graphics that seem to generate unlimited replay value.

Gameplay

It's amazing such an addictive game has such a simple gameplay. You control a driving block in a field of different blocks, and you must find three same blocks to mate with your driving block to make a larger complete block. You do this using the accelerometer on your iPhone or iPod touch: just tilt your iDevice to move the driving block around the field, and if the control gets stuck or out of alignment, just hit the recalibrate button on the bottom right corner. While the concept and control are simple, the fun is in the blocks, power-ups and enemies. Among the innocent blocks scattered around the field, lurking around are some dangerous enemies, and in one mode of the game, by contacting with just one of them you will die instantly. These enemies include spikemine, stealthmine, pulsemine, starmine and spidermine, and each of them have their own attacking method. The Spikemine follows you ever so slowly but never far behind; the Starmine works like a slingy that follows you fast, while the Spidermine weaves deadly webs and traps you.

It sounds like you aren?t going last long if you don?t tread carefully, but the good vs. evil battle has a balance: you get power-ups that are as fearless as the dangerous enemies. As soon as your formed a couple of complete blocks, both enemies and power-ups appear among the blocks. The power-ups include score bonus, time bonus (in Beat the Clock mode), explosion orb that blows out everything in sight, a powerful vacuum orb that sucks in anything you go near, ice block orb that turns everything into IceBlok which renders your enemy immobile for a period of time, a star spinner that will mow down anything in its path, and a ball & chain with magnet that will grab anything that matches your building block nearby. These power-ups counter the attacks and the danger of enemy mines, and play a big part in making the gameplay exciting and at times, frantic.

With the stage set for some serious fun, Superblox offers three game modes and each mode has its own objectives and rules. All three game modes are fun, but I find myself playing the game in Sudden Death mode the most. In this mode, you play as long as you can stay alive, collecting blocks and high scores along the way. The game starts out easy, but soon, you are facing as many enemies as your hero blocks in the field. One misstep (touching any enemy mine) it?s sudden death. In Beat the Clock mode, you get a 30 second timer as soon as you start the game. Your goal is to collect as many blocks as possible to get a high score; and only in this mode you get time bonus. If you can collect these little green timers to extend your clock, you can make the play last a lot longer than 30 seconds. In this mode, you don?t die if you happen to hit an enemy, unlike in Sudden Death mode, but you will loose a bit of precious time when the driving block is rematerializing. Hate the pesky mines? Play the only mode in the game that doesn?t have any mines: NY Minute mode. In NY Minute, your goal is just to gather as many blocks as you can, taking in the power-ups along the way to help increase your score. But you don?t get any time extensions: it?s one minute flat, when the time runs out it?s game over.

Graphics & Sound

The eye-catching graphics play as big of a role as the gameplay. Each enemy unit has its own look, so do the blocks. There are currently 6 types of blocks, each block features a very memorable and distinct look: Ramblock looks like a read faced Rambo soldier, Legallyblok is a legally blond, Cheezblok looks like SpongeBob, Blokestein takes after who else? Frankenstein. Then there is the Iceblok and the Shinoblok who is a student of Blok-Jutsu. Wow! Each gameplay mode also has its own background.

The graphics design is as unique as the gameplay, each item stands out on its own, yet everything fits perfectly into a bigger picture. Accelerometer moves smoothly, and the animations are flashy. Superblox has one of the most flashy graphics in a puzzle game yet manages to look simple and easy.

Superblox has orchestra sound tracks that keep it low key, not overwhelming the sound FX. Sound FX pieces on the other hand aren?t shy at all, flying stars, explosions, ice breaking? not your usual layback puzzle sound. Volume controls are available for all sound segments.

Conclusion

Finding a gem in a sea of puzzle games isn?t a small task, but Superblox: Powers Unleashed makes it all worthwhile. The game has an exciting gameplay in all three modes, very nice and creative graphics and excellent sound. It?s a complete package that will keep you coming back for more.

Ratings (scale of 1 to 5):

Graphics: - 5 - Creative graphics design, sharp and clean.
Sound: - 4.5 - Nice music and sound FX package.
Controls: - 5 - Not many accelerometer controlled games are easy to play, this game makes it look easy.
Gameplay: - 5 - It?s exciting the first time you play it, but that?s only the beginning. You will keep this game on your iDevice for a long time and play it often.

Playing Hints and Tips:

- Be patient and keep steady hands. Most mines are beatable as long as you stay cool.

- The slingy starmine is blockable. Just hide behind another block, it will self destruct when it hits the block.

App Facts:
Developer: Casual Friday Games
Release Date: June 21, 2010
Price: $1.99
Buy App: Superblox: Powers Unleashed

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CasualFridayGame

Reged: 06/06/10
Re: iPhone Game Review: Superblox: Powers Unleashed [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #37587 - 06/24/10 12:51 PM

Hi Tony,

thank you for your amazing review!

It is always great when a reviewer really take the time to play a game to make his opinion. It is obvious you play Superblox quite a bit and your description of the game is spot on!!

Now, I will have to fire my music and sound FX guys for their 4.5/5... unacceptable

Thanks again

Michel

CasualFridayGame

Re: iPhone Game Review: Superblox: Powers Unleashed [Re: CasualFridayGame]
      #37593 - 06/25/10 12:49 AM

Update #2 is 90% done... check out http://www.facebook.com/Superblox for more detail!

Btw, we are also giving promocodes on our facebook page, so you should probably become fan anyway

CasualFridayGame

Starting Tomorrow... Superblox FREE for a week!!! [Re: CasualFridayGame]
      #37633 - 06/27/10 04:03 PM

To celebrate summer, Superblox will be FREE next week until Friday!!!

Michel

Edited by CasualFridayGame (07/02/10 01:20 PM)

CasualFridayGame

Win a 25$ iTunes Gift Card [Re: CasualFridayGame]
      #37868 - 07/18/10 02:59 PM

To participate:

-Become a fan of Superblox on Facebook
-Like the post about this contest
-If you want to increase your chances, tell your friends, if a friend post your name on the same thread, you could both win.

www.facebook.com/Superblox

I am also giving promocodes on that post... so if you "like" the thread, you will receive notice when I post new ones

Michel

Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: Win a 25$ iTunes Gift Card [Re: CasualFridayGame]
      #37870 - 07/18/10 03:38 PM

Is there any way to enter without signing up for Facebook?

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

CasualFridayGame

Re: Win a 25$ iTunes Gift Card [Re: Jacob_Spindel]
      #37903 - 07/20/10 11:30 PM

Unfortunately no... the goal of this contest was to raise awareness of our facebook page.
The good news is there will be more contest in the future

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Re: Win a 25$ iTunes Gift Card [Re: CasualFridayGame]
      #37911 - 07/21/10 11:11 AM

Yeah, we look forward to more contests!! :-)

-----
MTR iPhone and iPad Game Reviews

spaztrigger
PDA Addict

Reged: 05/17/10
Re: Win a 25$ iTunes Gift Card [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #37912 - 07/21/10 12:01 PM

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
A proud reviewer of MobileTechREview!

CasualFridayGame

2 Contests : 40$ in prizes [Re: spaztrigger]
      #37927 - 07/22/10 01:53 AM

To celebrate our 3rd update, we just started 2 new contests:

First: 20$ Facebook

Post on Superblox's Facebook Wall your favorite thing about the game.
For each people "liking" your post, you will get an extra chance at winning
Dont use fake accounts, I know how to find out.

www.facebook.com/Superblox

Second : 20$ Appstore

1-Review Superblox
2-Write me an email at promo@CasualFridayGames.com to tell me your reviewer alias... btw, dont use someone else review... I will make sure the winner is legit.
3-Make sure the review is for the version 1.0.3
4-It doesnt have to be a 5 stars but it is obviously appreciated
5-You get an extra chance at winning for every person marking your review as useful (iTunes)

These 2 contests will end July 28th

GOOD LUCK!!

CasualFridayGame

Re: 2 Contests : 40$ in prizes [Re: CasualFridayGame]
      #37936 - 07/22/10 11:31 AM

There is some promocodes:

EAWYEKR76XPN
9M6JPPFA4LWA
L7WFNT9KRX3N
JAYXR6N9Y3XP
F6TWYLLK9AK6
7P6HN4RWLXLP
7X34JXXWHNXX
NWX6RLTFKH74
XKWYFFFEA9FF
PJFP44W73PFA

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 54 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 13583

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage