General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Full review: BlackBerry Torch 9800
      #38204 - 08/12/10 01:37 PM

RIM's latest BlackBerry dares to be different, and that's a good thing. The Torch 9800 has both a capacitive touch screen and a slide-out QWERTY keyboard. There's a new OS to go with that multi-touch display and it brings the BlackBerry into the 21st century. It's intuitive, enjoyable and quite powerful, yet veteran BlackBerry users won't find it unfamiliar. The Torch has a new Webkit web browser, a 3.2" display, the usual excellent hardware keyboard, push email galore and a heap of multimedia. Other amenities include a 5 megapixel camera, 4 gigs of storage, a GPS, WiFi and Bluetooth. The Torch is certainly good enough to keep Berry addicts loyal, but is it enough fight off Android and iOS?

Read our BlackBerry Torch review.

-

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
angelicman

Reged: 08/01/08
Loc: California
Re: Full review: BlackBerry Torch 9800 [Re: LisaG]
      #38206 - 08/12/10 09:05 PM

Wow, that's an excellent review. Thank you. You are the second positive review about 9899 that I have read. The first is Crackberry, and I thought they might be bias. But, after reading your review, I think it is a good device. I wonder why the rest of reviewers give 9800 not so positive reviews. You said it is made out of plastic. I don't know if 9700 has a metal of it, but the "metal" look on 9700 makes it look like a real metal (compare to 8900). Does 9800 looks like 8900 or 9700? I know you mention that you bought Samsung recently. My question is if you are going to get 9800 too? I am curious. If you do, then it tells me 9800 is really that good ;-) Thank you Lisa.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Full review: BlackBerry Torch 9800 [Re: angelicman]
      #38207 - 08/12/10 09:27 PM

The BlackBerry Bold 9700 is made of plastic too. Then again, so is the Samsung Vibrant and most of the Captivate. We live in a plastic world when it comes to tech. I'd say the Torch certainly looks as good as the 9700 and more like the 9700 than the Curve 8900.

I think the first round reviewers like Giz and Engadget were a bit biased toward the large touch screen slate phones in the iPhone/iPhone competitor family of devices. Those are very in right now, and they certainly have their merits. I obviously think it's better to look at the BlackBerry in a different light, as a business phone that can handle fun stuff too. As far as I know, not everyone wants an iPhone kind of device just yet .

I did indeed purchase a 9800. I carry several phones, but none are as good at calls, reception and messaging as the Berry. When it comes to downtime, the Captivate is still a lot of fun.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 132 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5362

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage