MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
iPhone Game Review: Ninjatown: Trees of Doom!
      #37117 - 05/18/10 04:44 PM

iPhone Game Review: Ninjatown: Trees of Doom!
Reviewed by Dave Koo

Imagine doodle jump with a wee ninja, a new background, no platforms what so ever. What you would get is called Ninjatown: Trees of Doom!

Gameplay

Ninjatown: Trees of Doom has a simple gameplay. You just tap to move: if you're on the left side of the tree and you tap on the right side, you'll jump over there using what people call Epic ninja skills. If you're on the left side and tap on the left side then you'll start climbing up and getting stumped by demon, poison, etc. If you happen to land on a branch the ninja will limply hang there and then you would have to touch the branch drag your finger down. Thus making a little cursor appear telling you where you will land.

There is only one game mode in Ninjatown: Trees of Doom!: surviving. You must help a ninja ump hurdle over the perilous poison, the slippery barks, or devious demons. In other words it is the epitome of fun. Like Doodle Jump, the developers of Ninjatown: Trees of Doom decided to liven up the game by adding unique power ups like a mustache that propels you forward and a wee little pot with a ninja drawing that teleports you further into the game. Or there will be stationary help on the way like branches which also propel you forward and a red mushroom(not the one in Mario) will bounce you forward. They Incorporated a lot of items into the game like a force field item, a super cape, and many more (I won't spoil for you). The game would be pretty bland if there was nothing there but trees, hordes of minion demon, or poison.

The scoring scheme is simple, just go as far as you can while the game records your progress and tells you the score you achieved; it?s just simple and clean. Looking at your score and stats is also very easy, just tap on the bubble that says Scores n' Stats.

Graphics

Not all games have to have graphics like Halo to be good. All you need is a little polishing and BAM! there you have it, a game with good graphics. Though not fancy, the graphics in Ninjatown are simple yet very effective. The baddies look good, your power ups are just spectacular, and the ninja is?just plain awesome. Gameplay moves smoothly and controls are also easy and smooth.

Sound

The starting music is just what you would expect from a game like this. It's a smooth and calm ninja music that could come from ancient China or something like that, and has a very peaceful rhythm to it. The game music is the exact same song; so don't expect much of a difference. Sometimes in the background you can hear some jungle sound FX that fits very well with your surroundings. Both background music and sound FX work together with the gameplay to create a fitting environment. Like every good game you can play your own music. Imagine listening to Boxman 2.0, how cool is that?!

Conclusion

If the world was ending and I could play one game guess what that might be. If you guessed Ninjatown then give yourself a pat on the back. Everything fits together like a jigsaw puzzle: the music, the gameplay, sounds, and everything else. Those who like doodle jump will like this even better. The game has tons of repla. The only thing that would make it better is adding an auto save feature so that when you close the app with a score of 178, you can pick it up from there when you reopen the game again. It?s a must-have if you like this genre of games.

Ratings (scale of 1 to 5):

Graphics: - 5 - Smooth and polished to the finest details. It is one of the best designed game out there.
Sound: - 5 - Just what you would expect from this game. A very ninja-like theme .
Controls: - 5 - Very quick and easy to learn! Works flawless.
Gameplay: - 5 - Just like doodle jump you can expect a lot of replay in trying to beat your own highscore.

Playing Hints and Tips:

- Try to use every branch possible and keep an eye out for the ninja pot.

App Facts:
Developer: Venan Entertainment
Release Date: May 5, 2010
Price: $1.99
Buy App: Ninjatown: Trees Of Doom!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
spaztrigger
PDA Addict

Reged: 05/17/10
Re: iPhone Game Review: Ninjatown: Trees of Doom! [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #37139 - 05/20/10 08:57 PM

Have this game.......

--------------------
A proud reviewer of MobileTechREview!

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Re: iPhone Game Review: Ninjatown: Trees of Doom! [Re: spaztrigger]
      #37367 - 06/09/10 10:10 AM

Ninjatown just got an update that adds Anti-Ninja, 1000m Smoke Bomb and more. Here is more info;

Venan Entertainment today announced that the first free update for their App Store sensation, Ninjatown: Trees of Doom!, is now available. The vertical action-platformer, developed in conjunction with Shawnimals and Pickle King Productions, is filled with adorable ninjas, villainous devils, and magical moustache rides.

This first update to Ninjatown: Trees of Doom! lets players take control of Wee Ninja's smartly-dressed ally, Anti-Ninja, as well as offering players emergency save game features, a special smoke bomb that instantly teleports players 1,000 meters up the eponymous Trees of Doom, re-designed tree segments to help players get even higher scores, and an assortment of various minor bug fixes.

-----
MTR iPhone Game Reviews

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

#37369 - 06/09/10 10:11 AM

Here is an interesting trailer, I like it!

-----
MTR iPhone Game Reviews

spaztrigger
PDA Addict

#37371 - 06/09/10 10:28 AM

Very interesting. I already got Anti-Ninja AND the 1000m bomb.
Do you think the devs put the ingame save since I said something about that in this review?

BtW. nINJATOWN IS NOW $0.99.

--------------------

Edited by spaztrigger (06/09/10 10:29 AM)

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

#37373 - 06/09/10 12:09 PM

Quote:

Do you think the devs put the ingame save since I said something about that in this review?

They listened to you!

-----
MTR iPhone Game Reviews

spaztrigger
PDA Addict

#37374 - 06/09/10 12:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

They listened to you!

-----
MTR iPhone Game Reviews

yes......Yes they did!

--------------------

Edited by spaztrigger (06/09/10 12:51 PM)

spaztrigger
PDA Addict

#38381 - 08/31/10 04:25 PM

New Update!
In our eye-popping RETINA UPDATE, we've added full support for the iPhone 4's killer new display, making Wee Ninja and his compatriots sharper and crisper than ever before! Once you've downloaded the update, just start up the game to download the new iPhone 4 artwork!

Even if you're not one of those lucky iPhone 4 owners, don't worry! We've got plenty of stuff for everyone: MULTI-TASKING SUPPORT for iOS 4 users, NEW WARP BOMBS that appear when you reach 2,500, 5,000, and 10,000 meters, and TWO NEW PLAYABLE NINJAS! See if you can spot the tree-hugging Forest Ninja and ice cream-loving White Ninja in the dizzying heights of the TREES OF DOOM! Once you've found their outfits, just poke your ninja in the main menu to switch between outfits!

"Surely this is it," you're thinking! "Surely they can't add anything else to this game!" Well, you are wrong, sir or madam! We have yet even MORE updates planned in the future, so spread the word, tell your friends, and keep those 5 star reviews rolling in!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 182 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11987

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage