MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
SuzanneT

Reged: 04/27/10
HTC Imagio or Incredible
      #36867 - 04/27/10 05:26 PM

Lisa aka Head Honcho, help! I have to decide by this Thursday (4/29): should I go with the Imagio (which is how I'm leaning) or the Incredible? It looks like you've rated both 4.25 stars. I have the Samsung Rogue and really do not like it.

I am very comfortable with Windows; I have a Zune and WMP on my pc. I need access to email during the day while on the road; I like to read the NY Times and CNN, though not crucial. I do not need to edit documents. I do like having VCast video on demand, though I am not certain that I would continue the service once I up my data plan to $30/mo. instead of $15.

I know the Incredible is incredibly fast, which is nice but not crucial. Your review for the Imagio was excellent but it seems like users either love it or aren't wild about it; they say it freezes up on them or stops working altogether. What about call quality of the two? I certainly don't want a $200 paper weight.

I also know Google has tons more apps, but from what I've read, the Windows apps available seem just fine to me. My husband, a self-confessed crack-berry addict thinks I should go with the Incredible as the Imagio is already "old." What do you think? I have no idea what to do.

Thanks so much for your advice.

Suzanne

PS - I use Thunderbird and Firefox and I believe Skyfire uses the same rendering engine as Firefox.

Edited by SuzanneT (04/27/10 05:31 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: HTC Imagio or Incredible [Re: SuzanneT]
      #36869 - 04/27/10 07:19 PM

For those folks who aren't really into one OS or the other, it's not an easy choice. Both are certainly capable enough for viewing NY Times and CNN content, and both are good at email. The Imagio (and in general Windows Mobile phones) has an advantage when it comes to MS Exchange email and sync, and I'm not sure if that's something you use.

The Incredible has none, nada, zip V Cast services. FYI, V Cast is included with the smartphone data plan and you don't have to pay extra (but the phone has to support the services). The Imagio does have V Cast Video, V Cast Music and etc. along with Mobile TV (broadcast TV that does require an additional monthly fee if you wish to use it).

It's true the Imagio is several months older but it's not obsolete. It's also true the Incredible is faster, though the Imagio isn't a terrible slug. And lastly it's weird and true that folks either seem to love their Imagio or dislike it; there's little middle ground. I didn't have stability issues but I've been using WinMo phones for years and have a good idea what 3rd party apps and hacks will slow it down or make it unstable. Stick with recent software titles and avoid hacking the phone and it does fine. You do need to reboot (turn off then on) Windows Mobile phones every few days though, while Android phone can often go a week before they need a reboot for speed and stability.

Which one appeals to you more and draws you? It sounds like you're leaning toward Windows Mobile and thus the Imagio.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

SuzanneT

Re: HTC Imagio or Incredible [Re: LisaG]
      #36871 - 04/27/10 07:52 PM

oh Lisa, THIS is why you're the head honcho. Thanks for your very prompt reply. I'm not much for MS Exchange and as for syncing, I do sync music with my Zune, but could I sync my Thunderbird email contacts with the Imagio? If so, then yes, I would do that.

You made my day regarding V Cast. I like the video on demand feature A LOT and used it on my enV2 and now on the Rogue ~ though I strongly dislike the phone. Knowing the Video is included on the data plan makes my decision a bit easier.

How does the call quality compare? I live/work in the NYC area and it gets pretty noisy here, though reception is pretty darn good.

As for apps, you say I should stick with recent software title and should be good? I tend to turn off my phone entering a class (I teach yoga) so I guess I'd be rebooting fairly often. Yes, I'm leaning toward Windows Mobile, but I needed an expert opinion of someone who has played with/reviewed both.

'look forward to your answers. Thanks again!

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#36873 - 04/27/10 08:06 PM

Well, even though I'm head honcho, I don't know much about syncing with Thunderbird. There are 3rd party products like birdiesync (not free) and FinchSync (free) for syncing with Windows Mobile, but I'm not aware of any for Android (both there may well be something). WinMo syncs over USB but Android is designed for cloud syncing to Google and other services, so there that rules out the usual USB sync utilities and companies. HTC provides their own sync tool to sync to Outlook over USB but it doesn't support Thunderbird.

Call quality is very good with both phones and is similar (both being made by the same company and using the same network).

BTW, you can put the phone into flight mode so it doesn't ring when teaching class (assuming it's the phone calls that are disruptive and not alarms). That way you need not turn it off. Though as you noted, it does take care of that maintenance reboot regime.

Honestly, I like both phones quite a bit, so it's not easy to tell you which one to choose.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

SuzanneT

#36874 - 04/27/10 09:01 PM

glad to hear call quality is very good because CNET says call quality on Imagio can be choppy and actually "drop" words according to the receiver of the call. You didn't find that to be the case?

Thanks LG, I do know about airplane mode, though I used to just silence the ringer. I only recently started turning the phone off to conserve battery life. Even though Rogue is only semi-smart, it uses a lot of juice.

I'm still leaning toward the Imagio. Aesthetically, it appears a little sleeker, and not as plastic as the Incredible. Yes? Plus I like the rubbery dimpled casing/frame surrounding the front. From the pics, it seems the Incredible, like the Moto Droid, is a bit more masculine.

last question, which I don't know if you have the answer: if V Cast video is included in data plan, is texting as well, or is that a separate charge?

with gratitude,
ST

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#36875 - 04/27/10 09:23 PM

Nope, the Imagio didn't chop or drop words for us in a month of use in the Dallas area. That might have something to do with Verizon's network in their area (generally San Fran which is a bear of a place for cellular reception).

Texting is separate from the data plan, though Verizon may offer some kind of bundle.

Personally, I think the Imagio is very cool looking and the patterns and textures make it look less plasticky and more expensive. I wouldn't call the Incredible masculine, at least not as masculine as the Moto Droid.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

SuzanneT

#36891 - 04/28/10 07:05 PM

Thank you, you're awesome.

SuzanneT

#37174 - 05/24/10 04:40 PM

hi Lisa,

Suzanne again. So I decided to go with the Imagio and have been quite happy with it. You should know, however, that even after confirming with three Verizon reps that V-Cast video is included with the data plan (as you indicated) they charged me $10 for it anyway. When I called them to inform them, they apologized but said that V-Cast video IS NOT included in the data plan. On the other hand, I could call back and get someone who says it is. I'm frustrated and ready to find another alternative (i.e., multimedia phone) because I don't want to spend $40 for data and v-cast.

Just wanted to let you know.

helen07

Reged: 09/13/10
Loc: singapore
      #38499 - 09/13/10 11:42 PM

Both of them are capable for viewing NY Times and CNN content, and both are good at email. The Imagio has an advantage when it comes to MS Exchange email and sync. The Incredible has none, nada, zip V Cast services. FYI, V Cast is included with the smartphone data plan and you don't have to pay extra (but the phone has to support the services). The Imagio does have V Cast Video, V Cast Music and etc. along with Mobile TV (broadcast TV that does require an additional monthly fee if you wish to use it). So I think you should choose The Incredible.

--------------------
Open Source Development

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7839

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage