Amazon today just released an update to the Kindle for Android app that adds new features including full text search, the ability to add notes and highlights and have them synchronized with other devices, voice search, Wikipedia lookup, and more. Here is more info:
With the newest update, Kindle for Android now enables customers to search the full text of Kindle books by voice or text, seamlessly look up words and phrases in Wikipedia, lock screen orientation in portrait or landscape mode, and view details about a book on Shelfari, the books-focused social networking site ? all without leaving the app. Additionally, Kindle for Android is the only reading app for Android-based devices that allows readers to add notes and highlights to books, and have them automatically synchronized between devices. The app is available from Android Market and customers who have already downloaded the app will receive the update automatically. Customers can learn more about Kindle for Android at www.amazon.com/kindleforandroid and download the app from Android Market.
The free Kindle apps allow customers to discover and read over 700,000 books in the U.S. Kindle Store ? the largest selection of the most popular books that people want to read ? including New York Times Bestsellers and New Releases from $9.99. Kindle lets you Buy Once, Read Everywhere ? on Kindle, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX, iPad, iPod touch, iPhone, Mac, PC, BlackBerry and Android-based devices. Amazon's Whispersync technology syncs your place across devices, so you can pick up where you left off. With Kindle Worry-Free Archive, books you purchase from the Kindle Store are automatically backed up online in your Kindle library on Amazon where they can be re-downloaded wirelessly for free, anytime.
New Kindle for Android features include:
- Search within the book: Customers can either type or speak a word or phrase to search within a book.
- Add, Edit and Delete Notes and Highlights: Kindle for Android is the only reading app for Android-based devices that allows readers to add notes and highlights to books, and have them automatically synchronized between devices.
- Wikipedia Lookup: Look up words and phrases in Wikipedia simply by selecting text.
- Shelfari Book Details: For the first time, customers can view additional book details from the books-focused social networking site Shelfari. Readers will find a description of the book, synopsis, summary, cast of characters, and many more features, and be able to view real-time discussions that the Shelfari community is having about the book.
- Orientation Lock: Choose to lock the orientation of their screen in landscape or portrait mode to allow for comfortable reading in any position.