General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Video review: Nokia N8 smartphone running Symbian 3
      #38678 - 10/01/10 06:53 PM

Our Nokia N8 is here and we've been putting it through its paces for 24 hours. The N8 is an unlocked GSM phone that Nokia sells directly for $549 with no contract. It's one of the few pentaband 3G phones and it has 3G on both ATT and T-Mobile's band as well as overseas.

There's a lot of pressure on Nokia to release a modern smartphone with impressive specs and a good user interface. Happily, Symbian 3 isn't just a reworking of the old OS to glom on touch, as was the case with S60 5th Edition. The N8 reminds us of the very respectable Nokia N900 smartphone running Maemo: it's designed from the ground up for touch, as as such it has a capacitive multi-touch display and no stylus.

That display is quite nice too since it's AMOLED. At 3.7" and 640 x 360 resolution, it holds it's own against other high end smartphones. The N8 runs on a 680MHz ARM 11 CPU with 2D and 3D graphics acceleration, and it's mostly responsive, though it lagged occasionally when several apps were running.

The phone has a GPS with free Ovi Maps and navigation, and it has both WiFi 802.11n and Bluetooth 3.0. The real centerpiece, beyond the new OS and capacitive display, is the 12 megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss autofocus lens and a huge flash. This phone takes excellent photos, and it's the best camera phone you can buy on the US market. It can also shoot 720p video that looks excellent. Other goodies include a strong web browser with Flash Lite and 16 gigs of internal storage plus a microSD card slot.

Stay tuned for our full review, and check out our video review:

-

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
palandri

Reged: 10/02/10
Re: Video review: Nokia N8 smartphone running Symbian 3 [Re: LisaG]
      #38688 - 10/02/10 08:49 PM

Nice review. You covered the items I was interested in.

I preordered a Nokia N8. What really excites me about the N8 is the camera and the HD video. I am hoping the N8 lives up to the other reviews I have seen on YouTube. I have been using Palm for a long time, so it's going to be a big switch. I currently have a Treo Pro. I haven't been impressed with Palm's latest phones, i.e., the Pre and the Pixi.

Thanks for the review!

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Video review: Nokia N8 smartphone running Symbian 3 [Re: palandri]
      #38689 - 10/02/10 09:56 PM

The camera, including HD video recording are tops. The N8 is certainly a solid phone with more impressive hardware than the Palm and Pixi. They have a great OS but the hardware is sadly dated.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

palandri

Re: Video review: Nokia N8 smartphone running Symbian 3 [Re: LisaG]
      #38693 - 10/03/10 09:16 AM

If you see any nice cases, please post them

I am thinking about getting an otterbox, but they aren't listed yet for the N8. http://www.otterbox.com/

I did find this case. It's expensive, but you can tell it's a really nice case:
http://www.pielframa.com/nokia-n8-cases.htm

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
      #38695 - 10/03/10 10:52 AM

We will certain try to post all the cases that are coming out for the N8. The phone is a bit slippery, I do think a case will help with handling it safer, even just a silicone or a gel case.

-----
MTR News

palandri

Re: Video review: Nokia N8 smartphone running Symbian 3 [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #38700 - 10/03/10 11:34 AM

Quote:

We will certain try to post all the cases that are coming out for the N8. The phone is a bit slippery, I do think a case will help with handling it safer, even just a silicone or a gel case.

-----
MTR News

Thank you! I look forward to it. I work construction in Chicago and a good case is very important to me. All the newer phones are being made so much thinner and you have to be careful with them. I couldn't tell you how many times I have seen a guy get a new phone, put it in his front pants pocket, like he did his old phone. Then at lunch he pulls it out and finds the front face cracked. I always carry my phone on my belt and in a good case.

palandri

#38773 - 10/09/10 11:30 PM

I got my N8 today.

It seems heavier than I expected it to be with an aluminum case. The glass screen scares me a bit. I really need to find a nice case soon.

OVI Suite worked well transfering my contacts to my N8. I am still trying to figure out how to get the calendar appointements to transfer from outlook to my phone through OVI Suite.

So far I am really liking it. I haven't had any issues at all.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#38775 - 10/10/10 06:45 PM

I'm so glad to hear you're liking the Nokia N8 so far!

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 91 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11954

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage