General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Apple's Steve Jobs announces Mac OS X Lion and the Mac App Store
      #38883 - 10/20/10 01:13 PM

Today in a press conference, Apple announced iLife 11 (no surprises there), Mac OS X Lion and the Mac App Store. Mac OS X Lion will be available in the summer of 2011, and the Mac App Store will be open in 90 days to current Snow Leopard Mac OS X 10.6 users.

The App Store will work much like iTunes for the iPhone and iPad. If you buy an app from the App Store, you can download that app and use it on all your personal Macs.

More info to come!

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: Apple's Steve Jobs announces Mac OS X Lion and the Mac App Store [Re: LisaG]
      #38887 - 10/20/10 01:53 PM

The Mac App Store looks cool, but it makes me a little nervous. Steve Jobs did say that they would still allow sideloaded apps on the Mac, but I can't help but worry that they might be trying to ban Flash and other unapproved content from the Mac... eep.

He didn't say a word about iWork 11 (?).

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Apple's Steve Jobs announces Mac OS X Lion and the Mac App Store [Re: Jacob_Spindel]
      #38891 - 10/20/10 02:55 PM

I can't imagine how they'd manage to lock down the OS to prevent users from installing software purchased or downloaded elsewhere. That would be beyond Big Brother, and it would be hard to think of Mac OS X as a real computer operating system at all.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: Apple's Steve Jobs announces Mac OS X Lion and the Mac App Store [Re: LisaG]
      #38894 - 10/20/10 04:10 PM

Quote:

I can't imagine how they'd manage to lock down the OS to prevent users from installing software purchased or downloaded elsewhere. That would be beyond Big Brother, and it would be hard to think of Mac OS X as a real computer operating system at all.

They probably couldn't do it technologically, but if the Mac App Store really takes off, I worry that developers might give up on trying to sell through other methods.

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Apple's Steve Jobs announces Mac OS X Lion and the Mac App Store [Re: Jacob_Spindel]
      #38895 - 10/20/10 04:28 PM

Maybe small developers but I can't seen the core large commercial apps going to just the App Store. No more Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, BBEdit, AutoCad and Office for Mac in your local Best Buy and Fry's? Doubt it. And for free apps, it makes no sense at all-- why pay Apple a store fee and deal with limiting the number of installations if your app is fry anyhow?

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 103 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3917

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage