General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Barnes & Noble announces Nook Color ereader with 7" IPS display
      #38947 - 10/26/10 03:42 PM

If you're not wed to E-Ink or in fact don't dig it at all, Barnes and Noble has the answer: the new Nook Color ebook reader with a 7" IPS color touch screen. That's the same screen technology used in the iPad, so it should be sharp and responsive. The Nook Color sells for $249 and should ship around Nov. 19th.

The color Nook has WiFi 802.11b/g/n for your book shopping pleasure and will support B&N's "More in Store" feature and ebook lending too. The Nook Color has a music player and 3.5mm stereo jack and it can view MS Office docs. The reader runs Android and it the standard excellent Android webkit web browser. There's no email application, but you can use web-based email.

The display's resolution is 1024 x 600 (169ppi) and it's backlit of course. Being a Nook, it works with non-DRM and DRM ePUB and PDF books.

-

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: Barnes & Noble announces Nook Color ereader with 7" IPS display [Re: LisaG]
      #38949 - 10/26/10 05:46 PM

It has about the same limited functionality of a regular eReader, but it also gives as much eyestrain (and battery drain) as a general-purpose device like an iPad... am I crazy for thinking that this is "the worst of both worlds"?

I'm not trying to be negative, and maybe it is a really cool device after all... but I feel like I just don't "get it."

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Barnes & Noble announces Nook Color ereader with 7" IPS display [Re: Jacob_Spindel]
      #38950 - 10/26/10 06:09 PM

Though I reserve final judgment until I review the Nook Color, at the moment, I'm in agreement with you, Jacob. The Nook Color competes with the Pandigital Novel sort of devices more than anything else, but it has fewer Android/smart device features.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 114 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4902

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage