General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Video review: Dell Streak Android tablet and phone on AT&T
      #38963 - 10/28/10 11:06 AM

To be honest, I couldn't quite get the point of a tweener device like the Dell Streak, a 5" Android tablet that also functions as a phone. Give me a phone or give me a tablet... or so I thought. Once I had the Streak in my hands, it made perfect sense as an excellent Internet device that's still small enough to hold to your head in conversation and stow in a pocket. The Streak should appeal to those who are into all things Net-- web, email, IM and social networking first and calling second.

Dell released the Streak more than a month ago, but it wasn't in AT&T stores or anywhere else. You had to order it direct from Dell. On the 24th, Best Buy started carrying it, and you can pick it up with a contract for $299 ($199 more than the latest superphones and $100 less than the Galaxy Tab) or without contract for $549. Though Best Buy tends to push cell contracts and jack up the retail price of smartphones, they're happy to sell the Streak for list price sans contract. Beware, it is locked to AT&T.

The Streak is very attractive and well made-- it looks like a classy piece of hardware. It weighs 7.7 ounces and has a 5", 800 x 480 multi-touch capacitive display that's quite responsive. It has a 1GHz Snapdragon CPU, 512 megs of RAM, 512 megs + 2 gigs internal storage and a pre-installed 16 microSD card. Battery life is surprisingly good given the fast CPU and large display and the 1530 mAh Lithium Ion battery is user-replaceable.

The Dell runs Android OS 1.6 with Dell's software customizations that improve usability and add features rather than muck with the UI. Dell has said that Android 2.2 Froyo will be coming in a matter of weeks (though we don't know how many weeks exactly). The device is fast and reception is solid over AT&T's 3G HSDPA 7.2Mbps network.

Here's our 15 minute video review of the Dell Streak on AT&T. And here's our full written review of the Dell Streak.

-

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Edited by LisaG (11/17/10 01:44 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 75 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6644

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage