MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
Alastair59

Reged: 01/04/11
Loc: Connecticut USA
Need Help for the old guy on his UK Trip.
      #39591 - 01/04/11 09:23 PM

I gave up on updating my cellphone a few years ago. I am presently Verizon Wireless which works great here in Connecticut. Now I would like to get a Android smartphone which allows me access my Google account.

So my question is what smartphone and what carrier ie: TMobile or AT&T as they use the 900/2100MHz bands as does the UK. They say the Google - Nexus S is sold unlocked so in theory you should be able to put a Sim card when I'm in England.

When you are new you should read the website first. The section on Unlocked GSM Phone Reviews is very useful.
I could stay with Verizon and get a Droid 2 Global but it has a vodafone Sim card installed and Vodafone service sucks in the UK like TMobile in Connecticut.

Any help, ideas or thoughts would be grateful.

Edited by Alastair59 (01/05/11 05:39 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Need Help for the old guy on his UK Trip. [Re: Alastair59]
      #39596 - 01/05/11 09:09 AM

If you're a customer in good standing, Verizon will generally give you the unlock code, so you could use the Droid 2 Global with another provider's SIM card. Just call customer service and ask them about it.

The Nexus S is a really lovely phone, and I own one myself. You're best off going with T-Mobile if you get that phone though, because it lacks AT&T's 3G bands. Android is absolutely not great with 2G/EDGE service because it does a lot of updates over the data network. These go very quickly on 3G and crawl on EDGE.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Alastair59

Reged: 01/04/11
Loc: Connecticut USA
Re: Need Help for the old guy on his UK Trip. [Re: LisaG]
      #39600 - 01/05/11 11:26 AM

Thank you very much Lisa, will pop into Best Buy tomorrow and get one. Looking at TMobile site it looks that I have good coverage. Did find a UK site on Sim cards.
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/pay-monthly/sim-cards

Thanks again.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4101

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage