General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Why I'm not getting the Verizon iPhone 4
      #39660 - 01/11/11 01:03 PM

Wow, the iPhone phenomenon and iOS will be turning 4 in July. That's right, the original iPhone came out in July of 2007, and it took that long for the latest model to make it to Verizon's network. I have nothing but respect for Verizon's network, and most recently, I've been thrilled with their 4G LTE network I've been testing via the LG VL600 USB modem that saved my derriere at CES Las Vegas 2011 when AT&T as usual crumbled under the load of too many iPhones on its network and the press WiFi network crawled.

When 100,000 visiting iPhones aren't overcrowding AT&T's network, their service has been solid in the DFW area where I work, so I'm not complaining too much. When I travel on business they've always given me solid coverage and decent data speeds that tend to be a bit faster than Verizon's EV-DO Rev. A 3G. West of the Mississippi, AT&T is solid, while Verizon still seems to rule the east coast (note, I've never had a problem with AT&T in NY and MA, but I know some of you have). I'd love to see speeds as fast as T-Mobile's HSPA+ (AT&T claims they've got the US blanketed in HSPA+ but I've yet to see the speeds in areas I work in and visit), but AT&T tends to have more solid coverage in less urban areas.

If Verizon had an LTE 4G iPhone I might be tempted. Heck, if AT&T had one, I'd be tempted. I do have an AT&T line, but I don't use it with an iPhone. I've gotten bored with iOS and Apple's usual strategy of entering the market with a wonderful new piece of technology, only to evolve it too slowly. The other folks catch up, and Apple loses their clear lead. I'm afraid that's what's happening with Android and soon Windows Phone 7. That's why I'm using the Samsung Nexus S on T-Mobile and a Samsung Focus on AT&T--these are hot and quickly evolving platforms that get the job done, keep me interested and productive. I confess I love the larger Super AMOLED displays too.

Now I admit I have the latest generation iPod Touch because I'm addicted to iOS games and I need to test various iOS apps for my job. My Senior Editor is still joined at the hip to her iPhone 4, as she was to all the previous models. It's still a wonderful platform, and it's much easier for novices to grasp than Android. But Windows Phone 7 is also very newbie-friendly--again, watch out, Apple. It's still hard to beat iOS for gaming and integration with the seemingly ubiquitous iTunes desktop software and store. Microsoft's Zune and XBOX on Windows Phone 7 don't have nearly the popular mindshare yet.

Were I to get a line with Verizon, it would be for a high end Android phone: Verizon simply rules the air with their selection of Droid phones. They beat AT&T's weak Android offerings as a whole, and certainly give Sprint and T-Mobile a run since those two carriers focus more on entry to mid-range Android phones (yes, Sprint and T-Mobile do a have a few truly impressive high end handsets too, just not as many as Verizon).

But I know many of you are wedded to Verizon and you've waited patiently all these years for your turn to finally get an iPhone. My question is after nearly 4 years, how many of you are still hot for Apple's one and only smartphone? Have you gotten too cozy with your Droid to switch? Perhaps more of a threat to AT&T are you existing iPhone owners who've never been happy with their service. Me? I'm waiting for the Samsung Infuse and Motorola Atrix on AT&T and the HTC Thunderbolt on Verizon.

-

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: Why I'm not getting the Verizon iPhone 4 [Re: LisaG]
      #39661 - 01/11/11 02:22 PM

Why I'm Not Getting The Verizon iPhone 4
...because I'm stuck with my friggin AT&T contract.

I really can't agree with you about AT&T's coverage... here in Portland, I have many dropped calls, numerous EDGE-holes, and some areas where I consistently cannot get any signal at all.

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

darrylsaladino

Reged: 01/12/11
Re: Why I'm not getting the Verizon iPhone 4 [Re: LisaG]
      #39665 - 01/12/11 06:04 AM

I have also been an iPhone owner, having used an iPhone 3G for a good while on the famous AT&T network. I had nothing but trouble with the AT&T service, but was impressed with the iPhone 3G. Apple hit a winner with the iPhone, bringing smartphone capability to the masses in a form that is pleasing to use.

Edited by LisaG (01/12/11 09:59 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4725

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage