Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
iPad Game Review: Pro Zombie Soccer: Apocalypse Edition
      #39773 - 01/24/11 09:56 AM

iPad Game Review: Pro Zombie Soccer: Apocalypse Edition
Reviewed by Abisco / Abbass-Ali Siwjee

Another game previously released on the iPhone / iPod Touch, Pro Zombie Soccer: Apocalypse Edition is an arcade game of sorts, where you play as Jax, a soccer loving kid who finds himself in the middle of a zombie invasion. One thing leads to another, and suddenly Jax is killing zombies with a soccer ball. Yes, it is ridiculous, and yes, it is amazingly fun. And the AE edition is definitely worth the few extra bucks!

Gameplay

The game follows a comic book style of story telling, having you see gorgeous art scenes with dialogs to progress the story. As Jax, you sitting one side of the field, while zombies walk in from the right side of the field. You cannot move, but you can aim your soccer ball in any direction to the right to ensure that you don?t let the zombies get your brain.

The story mechanics work really well with the Gameplay, so the game is engrossing from the get go. The best part of Pro Zombie Soccer is having great skills is all that is really needed. You can understand the game well enough, but aiming the ball for a sweet headshot takes practice, and is really rewarding when you get a headshot streak going on. On top of these mechanics, you have 3 super-weapons which you can use by filling up a meter at the top of the screen, as well as many different types of zombies and even some weird aliens. Couple this with the humor within the game, and you got yourself a really enjoyable game!

The campaign is long enough, giving you about 2 ? 3 hours (though skilled players will be able to get through this faster) as well as extra endless type modes and mini games. So really, you are getting a lot for your money, with a lot of variety all across the board, as well as a really great story, if not ridiculous at times. Fun!

The added things from the iPhone version include a great upgrade in screen space and amount of zombies on screen. It?s awesome seeing 50+ zombies walking toward you slowly, while you freak out. Another great thing about the game is how there are a lot of environments, as well as things that mix up the gameplay, such as levels where it is pitch-black except for a little light you control with your other hand. It really is exciting and really changes the pace of the game quite well. Unfortunately, I have met with a few crashes within the game, though it doesn?t happen all the time, it does happen quite a few times? sometimes even RIGHT at the end of a level. Thankfully the game recognizes I finished the level and didn?t make me replay the levels, but it is annoying.

Graphics

Really, having a story in this game wasn?t necessary. Many games on the iPhone don?t have stories, and are just arcade style games. So it?s great to see Pro Zombie Soccer: Apocalypse Edition has a good story, and better yet a unique style for the graphics that go along with the story. So when you are following everything that?s going on, the artworks really go a long way to help you understand everything that?s going on. The game?s graphics are just great everywhere, they aren?t anything you will DIE for (no pun intended), but you will enjoy it.

Sound

For veteran players, having great music is really important within games, and Pro Zombie Soccer: Apocalypse Edition delivers. If you really want to get into the gameplay and enjoy the sound tracks, bust out the speakers - it really is enjoyable to listen to the crazy rock music in the background, which is varied as well. There are many different songs available, and it?s one of the few Video Game soundtracks I would actually be willing to buy! (That?s saying a lot.)

Conclusion

All in all, Pro Zombie Soccer: Apocalypse Edition is worth the money. It?s funny, has a great story, some really awesome music, and the graphics are nice. Above all though, the gameplay is just fun and really varied well. This game has a lot of extras so longevity isn?t going to be a problem with this one!

Ratings (scale of 1 to 5):

Graphics: - 4 - Great graphics, really helps move the story along and it really is unique
Sound: - 5 - Awesome rock soundtrack, well varied and likeable. There?s not much more you could ask from a game now days.
Controls: - 4.5 - The controls work well enough, though I have had times where I tried turning a ball, only to realize you go up and down to turn it? It just isn?t something which immediately clicks, and sometimes you lose sight of that
Gameplay: - 4.5 - Great game with loads to do, really fun, great amount of variety and an awesome story. Too bad there?s still some crashing bugs within the game.

Playing Hints and Tips:

Take the game at your own pace, don?t rush it. It?s pretty fun and there are lots to do. The achievements add a lot to the game, and really add in some funny moments. (If you wanna have a little fun, on the level with your girlfriend, get the satellite laser super power and aim it at your girlfriend, I accidently aimed at her and some zombies and well.. I just had to pull the trigger )

App Facts:

Developer: Chillingo
Release Date: Jan 20, 2010
Price: $1.99
Buy App: Pro Zombie Soccer: Apocalypse Edition

-----------------------------------------------------

Check out our full list of iPhone/iPod touch game reviews:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPhone-game-reviews.htm

Check out our other iPad game reviews:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPad-game-reviews.htm

-----------------------------------------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 171 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10624

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage