Wireless and Mobile Phones >> Bluetooth

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Bluetooth FAQ and Product Roundup
      #3983 - 07/28/02 07:57 PM

If you're interested in Bluetooth and are shopping for products, be sure to read my article. Got any questions? Bluetooth giving you a headache? Post here!

[ July 28, 2002, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: LisaG ]

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bankerdave

Reged: 07/29/02
Loc: Indiana
Re: Bluetooth FAQ and Product Roundup [Re: LisaG]
      #3984 - 07/29/02 09:01 PM

LisaG

I read your review on Bluetooth products. It was a great read.

I was wondering if you might know the answer to a question about Bluetooth that I've been looking for the answer to?

I bought a cell phone that I can buy a Bluetooth module for, and I own an iPaq H3650, which as you already know, I can get a Bluetooth CF card for.

Here's my dilemma. I am currently trying to use the phone with my iPaq via a serial cable. It won't work, because there are no drivers for the phone written for the iPaq, and the Hayes compatible driver that's built into the iPaq won't work either. If I make the move to Bluetooth, will Bluetooth take care of my problem that I am having with the drivers, or will I still have the same issue?

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, the model of phone I have is Ericsson T60d.

Thanks!

David

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Bluetooth FAQ and Product Roundup [Re: Bankerdave]
      #3985 - 08/01/02 11:33 PM

I'm familiar with the Ericsson T60d, but for some reason, none of the products reviewed here list it as explicitly supported (i.e.: has built-in driver). They do (including the iPAQ expansion sleeve) support the Ericsson R520, T39 and T68. When setting the sleeve (and other products) up, you can select a generic GSM driver, which *might* work, but I can't guarantee that.

You might want to buy the sleeve from a place where you can return it like BestBuy, Amazon or Frys, and try it out.

quote:
Originally posted by Bankerdave:
LisaG

I read your review on Bluetooth products. It was a great read.

I was wondering if you might know the answer to a question about Bluetooth that I've been looking for the answer to?

I bought a cell phone that I can buy a Bluetooth module for, and I own an iPaq H3650, which as you already know, I can get a Bluetooth CF card for.

Here's my dilemma. I am currently trying to use the phone with my iPaq via a serial cable. It won't work, because there are no drivers for the phone written for the iPaq, and the Hayes compatible driver that's built into the iPaq won't work either. If I make the move to Bluetooth, will Bluetooth take care of my problem that I am having with the drivers, or will I still have the same issue?

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, the model of phone I have is Ericsson T60d.

Thanks!

David

--------------------
Lisa Gade

jmichaelp

Reged: 08/25/02
      #3986 - 08/25/02 07:29 AM

Hi Lisa!

I read your article and I'm wondering if the iPAQ Bluetooth enabled models are compatible with Bluetooth headsets that are used for cellphones. Thanks. Mike

YNOT

Reged: 11/25/02
Re: Bluetooth FAQ and Product Roundup [Re: jmichaelp]
      #3987 - 12/27/02 03:30 PM

Hi Lisa -

Another question, and thanks for previous help. I just got an iPAQ 3970 and am thinking of using BT to ActiveSync to my desktop PC. I'm thinking of the Belkin USB/BT Adapter you did a write up on. I ALSO want to get another Belkin USB/BT adapter for my laptop and want to use the desktop's ADSL internet connectionon over BT. My concern is speed. I read somewhere that the speed is actually closer to 50-80kbps (!!) This seems far to wide a difference to be accurate. My ADSL runs at something like 320kbps if it's going downhill with a strong wind behind it. The Belkin is rated, as you know, at 721kbps, supposedly. I'm trying to avoid WiFi since I want to do something with the iPAQ, BT-wise.

Any insights on the ACTUAL speeds from a laptop - or PPC - over this Belkin USB/BT adapter would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks
Eric

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Bluetooth FAQ and Product Roundup [Re: YNOT]
      #3988 - 12/27/02 09:39 PM

BT can go faster than 50-80K, unless we're talking about BT cell phones! The folks who make BT access points are banging their heads against the marketing wall to get this message out.

The original idea behind BT was largely as a way for cell phones to act as modems for PDAs and laptops, so the stated speeds and range were low to match the speed of GPRS transmissions and the range of cell phone BT radio transmitters. Since then we've seen the intro of BT USB adapters such as the Belkin and the Pico Blue Internet access point also reviewed here. Speeds can and do go much higher with these kinds of connections. The range is also much further than the commonly tossed about 30 feet.

You should get very good speeds out of the Belkin USB adapters. They're great units. We'll be reviewing the new AnyCom BT USB adapter here shortly, and I suspect it will also do well.

You'll likely be very satisfied. I would still say that WiFi has the speed edge, but for USB adapters or access points and DSL, the Belkin BT adapters will be more than adequate.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

YNOT

#3989 - 12/28/02 11:45 PM

Thanks, Lisa! I feel better now, (though I have heard another issue where the 3970 doesn't some sort of "profile" that makes it so you can surf the Web via BT; but I've also seen others say you can using ActiveSync "passthrough" - I have no idea what this is all about, but I'm going to take the leap, I think, and buy the Belkin. It has something to do with a LAN profile, or something. Any insights would be appreciated.).

Thanks for hosting this board, by the way. I'm quite surprised it doesn't get more traffic. These guys below get tons of traffic, though TOO much, really, in that one's question can get lost in the shuffle.

http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum/index.php

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#3990 - 12/28/02 02:57 PM

Using the 3970 and BT, you can connect to your PC (with it's Belkin adapter) and can ActiveSync. While your Pocket PC is connected to your PC via ActiveSync it can access the Internet as long as your PC is connected to the Internet. This works via cradle sync as well at BT. This is the passthrough connection ppl talk about.

FYI: If you have a BT network access point such as the Pico Blue, your iPAQ could connect to it for direct Internet access, without involving your PC and ActiveSync. This is similar to the way a WiFi access point or an Ethernet router works. Not that I'm recommending it since those access points are still pricy and you don't need one for your purposes!

The thing BT-enabled iPAQ owners complain about is the fact that their PDAs can't access network shares in Windows networks.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

YNOT

#3991 - 01/02/03 05:22 PM

Thanks, Lisa. I just got 3 of the Belkin USB/BT adapters - they're great! My laptop is now wirelessly using my DSL connection from much more than 30 ft away, and I have the added bonus of being BT to ActiveSync my 3970. BTW: The wireless speeds are exactly the same from the laptop as they are from my directly-connected desktop machine - about 325kbps. It almost seems faster. =} It was great ripping out the phone wires and downgrading my ISP to "web hosting only" - and saving $10/month. (I had DSL only in my office at home, and not in my wifes office; she was still using a 56kb dialup ISP).

Thanks again for your insights.

doc122jp

Reged: 01/20/03
      #3992 - 01/20/03 07:33 PM

I recently purchased the clie nx70, and would like to get wireless access through my cellphone which is not BT enabled. I was wondering if I bought the BT chip for my clie and a BT headset for non-BT enabled phones if that would help me get wireless access through my PDA. Thanks in advance.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Bluetooth FAQ and Product Roundup [Re: doc122jp]
      #3993 - 01/20/03 09:26 PM

Unfortunately, that won't help your cell phone to connect to the NX70V. You'd have to get a BT-enabled cell phone to use the cell phone as a wireless modem for the NX70 (plus the BT Memory Stick available in Japan and through importers).

quote:
Originally posted by doc122jp:
I recently purchased the clie nx70, and would like to get wireless access through my cellphone which is not BT enabled. I was wondering if I bought the BT chip for my clie and a BT headset for non-BT enabled phones if that would help me get wireless access through my PDA. Thanks in advance.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Jumpow

Reged: 02/28/03
      #3994 - 02/28/03 09:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by LisaG:
If you're interested in Bluetooth and are shopping for products, be sure to read my article. Got any questions? Bluetooth giving you a headache? Post here!

iPAQ 3970 Bluetooth does not support connection with Access Point (ANY!) as HP support explaned me today.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Bluetooth FAQ and Product Roundup [Re: Jumpow]
      #3995 - 02/28/03 10:01 AM

That's definitely not true. Perhaps you spoke with a misinformed support rep. HP does not state an incompatability with all BT access points, and I've used the 3970 with both the PicoBlue and Belkin access points reviewed here. In fact, I use the 3970 and Belkin daily, and have used the 3970 to administer the Belkin access point.

quote:
Originally posted by Jumpow:
[QUOTE]iPAQ 3970 Bluetooth does not support connection with Access Point (ANY!) as HP support explaned me today.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Gelco

Reged: 03/01/03
      #3996 - 03/01/03 03:39 PM

Questions for Lisa and other members also..

My job requires me to travel constantly around the US. I own a Dell Axim and the BT enabled Sony Ericsson T68i. I'm thinking of buying a BT CF card for the primary purpose of surfing the web and accessing emails on the road. Activesync and other functionalities are secondary. I like the idea of doing the primary function with needing a laptop.

Q1: Is the above idea do-able? realisitically easy to accomplish? I've heard about people having problems making bluetooth work.

Q2: What realistic web surfing speed can I expect using the setup? Do I need a separate data plan with my T-Mobile carrier? Currently I only have voiceplans and T-Zone internet 1MB plan.

Q3: What/Which ISP do I need? Is T-Mobile my ISP? I have Time Warner Cable modem at home But I think that's irrelevant?? I don't have a wireless home network.

Q4: Any other issues/considerations I should know before attempting the setup?

Q5: Lastly which BT CF card do you recommend?

A Big Thank You in advance for reading and answering my long post.

RonG

Reged: 07/06/04
      #12970 - 07/06/04 02:04 PM

I have a Palm Tungsten T3 with built in Bluetooth. I read your review of products and am still unclear whether I need an access point or I can use a USB adapter. I want to use it to transfer files between my T3 and both my work laptop (with docking station) and my home tower PC. I also want to do wireless syncing and would like to surf the internet, and occasionally print directly through the PC's. Can I do all this through my T3 and the USB adapter connected to networked PC's (both the PC's have direct access to the internet - at work through the LAN and at home through a gateway router and cable modem)? What software do I need to do this? Do I need an access point for the internet? Will it (or the USB adapter) provide ready access for the T3 to the internet through my current provider (Verizon cable)? What is the difference between the access point and the adapter in capability and connectivity? I have Win2000 on the laptop and WinXP home addition on the desktop and share the printer through the home PC to the LAN.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 14396

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage