General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
iPhone Case Review: Impactband for iPhone 4 for Both Verizon and AT&T
      #40044 - 02/23/11 10:28 AM

iPhone Case Review: Impactband for iPhone 4 (Verizon and ATT)
Reviewed by Tom Slayton

Editor's Ratings (1-5): 4

What's Hot: Great drop protection for your iPhone that doesn't add a lot of weight. Flexible, yet smooth material slides easily in and out of shirt and pant pockets. Full access to ports and controls.

What's Not: Provides no protection from moisture. The cutout for the headphone port doesn't accommodate anything but standard (vertical) headphone jacks.

Overview

The Impactband is the bumper that Apple should have made. This thick yet flexible edge cover should provide significant protection from drops. While I don't trust any case enough to willingly let my phone go to ground, this product appears to be every bit as tough as the manufacturer claims while still leaving the glass face and back of your phone exposed.

Size and Fit

The Impactband stretches just enough to allow its installation. Once on, this baby isn?t coming off unless you want it to. Your iPhone snuggles comfortably against the bumper and doesn?t rattle around within it.

Features and Quality

The Impactband sports a thick, raised lip to protect both the front and back of the phone. Theoretically, even if your iPhone lands flat on its face, it will be protected by the Impactband. Here is a video from the manufacturer that shows some intrepid soul dropping his iPhone from a height of approximately 10? without any noticeable damage.

Obviously, your mileage may vary and a single rock jutting up in just the wrong place can still spell disaster. However, this is true for almost all phone cases, and the fact that this level of drop protection can be achieved from a case that covers only the edges is pretty impressive. All ports and controls are accessible via the usual cutouts. Unfortunately, the headphone port didn?t accommodate my 3rd party headphones, which was a bit of a disappointment, as I hate running with earbuds. Additionally, the Impactband offers no protection from moisture so if you plan on dropping your phone in the near future, make sure you don?t do it in a puddle.

Style

The style of the Impactband is definitely minimalistic. The intent seems to be to offer the greatest protection with the minimum material, and I think Base One Labs has hit their intended mark. While there aren?t any frills, this case succeeds in getting out of the way of your iPhone so its intrinsic beauty can be seen. This was most apparent when I removed my heavy-duty case in preparation of the Impactband. My wife strolled by and picked up my naked phone and exclaimed how much she likes the way the iPhone 4 looks caseless. If you feel the same way, yet you can?t be trusted to carry yours around unprotected, the Impactband is a great compromise of style and function.

Summary

The Impactband provides significant drop protection for your AT&T or Verizon iPhone 4 without covering up your beautiful iDevice any more than is absolutely necessary. In short, it is what Apple?s original Bumper should have been. It doesn?t accommodate all headphone jacks, however, and provides no protection from moisture, but it excels at what it sets out to do; it strikes a balance between form and substance.

Price: $24.95
Web site: http://www.baseonelabs.com/products/impactbandtm-for-iphone-4

---------------------------------------------------

Buy it from Amazon

-----------------------------------------------------

Check out our iPhone and iPod product reviews:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPod.htm

--------------------------------------------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Re: iPhone Case Review: Impactband for iPhone 4 for Both Verizon and AT&T [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #40368 - 04/05/11 02:39 PM

Impactband cases for the iPhone 4 is now in different colors:

-----
iPhone Accessory Reviews

John33134

Reged: 03/07/11
Re: iPhone Case Review: Impactband for iPhone 4 for Both Verizon and AT&T [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #40382 - 04/06/11 04:13 PM

I like this very much. It looks more promising than the other one, the boxy one?!

Edited by LisaG (04/06/11 05:34 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 68 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13532

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage