Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
iPad Game Review: Back to the Future EP 1 HD
      #40298 - 03/28/11 10:30 AM

iPad Game Review: Back to the Future EP 1 HD
Reviewed by Abisco / Abbass-Ali Siwjee

There are few films that spark a light in people's hearts when their names are mentioned, one of the most notable ones being the Back to the Future Trilogy. Fast, fun movies all designed around a really cool idea, and for its time, movies that looked amazing. Fast forward 20 years, and we now have a video game for it. This point and click adventure actually CONTINUES the story of the movies, which means that if you've seen the films and are itching for more of Dr. Brown and Marty, then this is the game for you. Being the first in five of episodic content by TellTale games, this game hopes to rekindle your love for the movies, or if you haven't seen the movies before, then acquaint you with the quirky characters that have been adored and loved for years. Originally released for the PC and Playstation 3, this game has gotten raving reviews for both systems. But does this game deserve the epic name of Back to the Future? And does it play as well on the iPad as it does on the PC/Playstation 3? If you?re dying to find out, then read on!

Gameplay

As with most point and click adventures games, gameplay involves having to direct your characters through scripted sequences, where you then must solve puzzles to move the story along. In between you have discussions with other characters, and can interact with various items within each room. The great thing about this game is that the movie license is used amazingly well, you can clearly tell this is a Back to the Future game, and passerby?s may even think this is a 3D version of the movies. The characters are really spot on, and if you have seen the movies, you really will feel right at home. A lot of attention is paid to the little tidbits from the movies, so seeing those aspects in the game is great.

All around the actual gameplay of the game is amazing, its something many will enjoy, and even if you are not a fan of the movies, the game has a very interesting opening sequence from the movies which may help you get acquainted with the movies and their various characters. The unfortunate part of the game though is the technical side. Having played this on an iPad 1, I can safely say that it isn?t exactly a buttery smooth experience. This game looks amazing, so its understandable that the game will run a little choppy at times, it just is unfortunate that there are quite a few action heavy parts where the game plays like a slideshow, and given the fact that this is basically an interactive movie, it can hurt the experience a lot and truly just take you out of the game. But if you are willing to stomach the slow moving scenes on your iPad 1, OR if you have the brand new iPad 2 (which I can confirm smoothly handles this game with ease) then you will be in for a treat gameplay wise!

Graphics

As with most TellTale games, this game truly pushes the boundary of what is possible on the iPad. The game just flat out looks great, and even better on the iPad 2. Unfortunately, as I said before, on the iPad 1 there can be quite a few slow downs, so be wary of that!

Sound

Finally we come to the sound. The game?s audio is outstanding, it truly follows the spirit of the Back to the Future Franchise, and completely allows you to live in the world of Marty and Dr. Brown. I urge you to use headphones while playing this game, since the voice acting (which even includes some of the original actors), the background music, and sound effects (right from the Delorean burning up the pavement in the opening scene, to the last moments) are absolutely stellar, and deserved to be listened to!

Conclusion

The game truly has a lot to live up to, since the Back to the Future franchise is so sacred to so many, thankfully the game rises to the occasion and hits it out of the park with this awesome experience.

Just a few things I would like to add as a side not before I end, 1. The game is priced at $6.99 for the first episode, and since this is an episodic game, you will need all 5 episodes to truly experience the full game. Unfortunately only up to episode 2 is done right now, and that hasn?t been ported over to the iPad yet. So if you have a PC or a playstation 3, you might want to opt for those versions instead, since the episodes come out faster, and 2. For a FULL season playpass on PC or Playstation 3, it costs $20, which means each of the 5 episodes is $4, while you are paying $7 on the iPad for one episode, meaning that you may end up paying $35 for the whole season! So as a final note, although the game is great for the iPad, if you want faster episodic content, a cheaper version of the game, and if you don?t have an iPad 2 then I would suggest you skip out on the iPad version and instead get the PC version.

Ratings (scale of 1 to 5):

Graphics: - 5 - The character models look great, and even better if you have the new iPad
Sound: - 5 - For an interactive movie style of a game, it?s great to see such amazing sound effect, voice acting, and background music!
Controls: - 5 - Controls are what you come to expect from a point and click adventure, and when moving around you can also use the joystick.
Gameplay: - 3.5 - This is an awesome game, but the slow-down?s really take you out of the experience, which is unfortunate to say the least.

Playing Hints and Tips:

If you have an iPad 1, I suggest doing a full restart before playing this game to experience it with minimal slowdowns, this will help it run a lot smoother, which is really something you should aim for given this type of game.

App Facts:

Developer: Telltale Games
Release Date: Feb 17, 2011
Price: $6.99
Buy App: Back to the Future EP 1 HD

-----------------------------------------------------

Check out our full list of iPhone/iPod touch game reviews:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPhone-game-reviews.htm

Check out our other iPad game reviews:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPad-game-reviews.htm

-----------------------------------------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5553

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage