Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
iPad Case Review: Bracketron Twist360 iPad Case and Stand
      #40322 - 03/31/11 10:31 AM

iPad Case Review: Bracketron Twist360 iPad Case and Stand
Reviewed by Guy Dayen

Editor's Rating: (1-5): 4.5

What's Hot: Small but stable footprint, it's infinitely adjustable for carrying and hanging the iPad.

What's Not: Adds noticeable amount of weight to the iPad, no front cover so the iPad must be removed and turned over for travel.

Bracketron's business centers on universal mounting solutions and accessories for many of today's most popular mobile and handheld technologies. They offer a broad selection of mounting configuration options designed to offer an optimal level of flexibility and functionality. The company has been in existence for 10 years.

The Twist 360? iPad case and stand is the newest product from Bracketron, and it is a very good option for anyone looking for a dual-function design. Set it up as an iPad stand when you?re using the device, and then use it to protect and carry the iPad when you?re on the move. The stand is a great option if you have an iPad 2 and want to do FaceTime or movie watching without having to hold the iPad. But the stand case doesn?t have a form fitting for the iPad 2 while it fits the original iPad like a glove. The infinite adjustment lets you pick the exact angle you need for optimum viewing. The stand works well in both portrait and landscape modes.

There is a twist ring that forms the base of the stand, and it also serves as a convenient carrying handle. Another use for the ring is to attach to a hook, so you can hang the iPad on the wall if you wish. My wife thinks this is terrific when she?s cooking, and she wants the iPad close by in the kitchen, but out of harm?s way in case of spills and splashes. She uses the iCookbook app, which operates on voice commands, and hanging the iPad on the kitchen cabinet lets her use the iPad with a minimum of fuss and handling. She is a happy camper with the Twister 360?.

I?ve been leaving the twist ring in the folded-down position a lot, and using it as a handgrip for the iPad. I find this extremely comfortable when I?m reading. In that position, the Pad rests comfortably on my arm, and its weight is very evenly distributed along my entire arm. It?s how I hold a book when I read, and it?s great to be able to hold the iPad in this fashion as well. It feels secure, and my wrist doesn?t get as tired as when I hold the iPad by one of its edges.

Design

Bracketron Twist360 iPad case comes two color combo with one dominate color and a contrasty accent color. There are several color combos to choose from and all look great. We have the black and red combo: the exterior is black and the interior of the case is red, but you don?t really see the red on the inside when the iPad is in the case, except for a thin red border that surrounds the iPad. It?s about 3/16th of an inch wide, so it adds about 3/8th of an inch to the height and to the width of the iPad. It looks pretty cool; in fact, with the black and red color, it brings to mind the colors of the 1966 TV Batmobile, so I call it my Bat-Case now. (I know - huge geek... can?t help it...)

The case feels really solid and substantial, considering that it is pretty thin. While it may not protect from major bumps or falls, it feels like it will afford a good deal of protection from everyday mishaps.

The iPad slips into the case easily and fells very secure when it?s in place. We?ve tried to shake it loose, but it stayed in the case nice and snug. It takes a bit of a twist to get the iPad out, but it?s easy enough to do when you want to turn it over for travel outside the home. All in all, it takes a minute or so to make the switch. I would have liked an actual cover for both front and back so I wouldn?t have to turn the iPad over, but considering the design of the case, I don?t think it could have been done without adding real bulk to the iPad, and who wants that? It?s a minor drawback, at most.

What the kit includes

The package comes with the Twist 360? case and a product sheet. There are really no instructions needed, as it?s a straightforward product.

Conclusion

The Twist 360? is a wonderful stand for the iPad that doubles as a protective case when you?re on the move. Even though it does add a fair amount of weight to the iPad, it is quite solidly constructed and will provide very good protection against everyday bumps and hits. The soft rubber insert will protect the iPad?s screen from scratches when it is turned in for traveling, and it will keep the back pristine as well when the iPad is in use.

It?s not the only iPad stand I own, but it?s the one I?ve been using consistently for the entire week, because the footprint is so small. I can easily fit the iPad on my nightstand so I can set my radio apps to play a couple of Old-Time radio programs while I go to sleep. It can be placed far enough away on my small stand so that I won?t bump the iPad when I hit the snooze button three or four times.

Everyone that owns an iPad will find some use for the Twist 360?. Carry-case, stand, and handhold for the iPad; Bracketron has created a multi-function product that I will be using on a consistent basis. The sixty dollar suggested price is right in line with most other products of a similar nature, and the variety of things it can do makes it a good value for the money.

Price: $ 59.95 (SMRP)
Web site: www.bracketron.com

-----------------------------------------------------

Check out our iPad product reviews:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPod.htm

-----
MTR News

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 89 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7492

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage