MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
alexr

Reged: 08/07/11
Loc: michigan
Looking for a new Win7 tablet PC
      #41118 - 08/08/11 05:29 PM

Hello,

I am currently looking for a new Win7 PC (Stylus is required) Is the Asus Eee Slate the best out there right now? If not can you point me to another, Google has been bad to me lately, every time I look for Tablet PC I get tons of android tablet results.

Any help would be appreciated.
Alex

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Looking for a new Win7 tablet PC [Re: alexr]
      #41119 - 08/08/11 07:20 PM

I'd say the Asus Eee Slate EP121 we reviewed a while back is still the best pick if you want a slate form factor running Windows. I still love mine. If you want a convertible style, then there are a few more options, though they generally cost a bit more than the EP121.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

alexr

Re: Looking for a new Win7 tablet PC [Re: LisaG]
      #41120 - 08/08/11 07:59 PM

Good point. I am worried that I didn't see an Ethernet port. Meaning wireless is the only way to connect or using those ugly ethernet to usb solutions.. lol Has anyone done an ultimate power saving test.. Power saving mode lowest brightness.. no wifi.. what battery life we looking at? Also not shy about spending money.. just want more bang for my buck.

Thanks
Alex

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#41122 - 08/08/11 08:43 PM

I've never tried the lowest brightness level for an entire charging period (my eyes just aren't that good!), and without network, I don't have much use for any computer-- that's what I get for heading up a website for a living

But I'd estimate that you could get an extra 45 minutes that way.

Convertibles are larger and do weigh more, even if money isn't an issue. That said, if I were looking at bang for the buck convertibles, the HP TouchSmart TM2 is super (gloss screen that's not IPS being the only drawback), and the Lenovo X220 Tablet is one of my top choices for more money. Thanks to Lenovo's continuing discounts and coupons, you actually get a lot of machine for the money. The X220 has strong battery life and an Ethernet jack .

--------------------
Lisa Gade

alexr

#41131 - 08/09/11 04:47 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't know there was a X220 Lenovo. This site has not reviewed it yet,correct? I wonder how it would stack up against the Eee Slate. Also looking at the Lenovo site I noticed they are coming out with a thinkpad tablet (android with a stylus. Oh noes). I wish there was a store near that that carried these things so I can kick the tires the choices this year don't seem that easy.

Alex

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#41132 - 08/09/11 11:24 PM

We have a review of the ThinkPad X220 here: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X220.htm . This is the version without the digitizer display, but is otherwise the same. The Lenovo ThinkPad slate tablet that runs Android will be similar to the IdeaPad Android tablet we reviewed minus the horde of consumer software bundled (that's a good thing). But it's no replacement for Windows, if that's what you need. And a capacitive stylus (used on the Android tablet) isn't nearly as precise as the active digitizer in Windows tablets like the Asus Eee Slate and X220t.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Edited by LisaG (08/09/11 11:26 PM)

alexr

#41133 - 08/10/11 08:03 AM

you do have a point in regards to Android stylus. I guess it is just wishful thinking being they are much cheaper. It looks like he Thinkpad has more horsepower since it uses the latest generation of processors. I'm going to have to find a review of the tablet version to get more information about the accuracy of the thinkpad (i never owned one of thier machines) then I have to decide if I want a slate or a convertable. You own the Slate, or at least used it a long time correct? If so do you find anything lacking in it, also can you play left for dead on it like you did in the x220 review :P

Thanks for all your information
Alex

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#41136 - 08/10/11 03:57 PM

The ThinkPad X220t has an excellent digitizer. I've used it and we've reviewed several of their convertible tablets.

Can the Eee Slate play Left 4 Dead 2? Yep

--------------------
Lisa Gade

alexr

#41137 - 08/10/11 05:08 PM

well I think I decided to get the Asus Slate, scared about battery life but I usually keep the display on low and no wifi and haven't seen any tests on that yet. But its thinner and lighter. Now I have to find a place that doesn't overcharge and accept returns lol

Alex

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#41139 - 08/10/11 10:51 PM

Amazon's usually a good bet for return policies and pricing.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

alexr

#41144 - 08/11/11 07:35 PM

so.. yeah um.. can anyone tell me the size width and high of the Lenovo X220 tablet. I'm having it very hard time finding on google. I'm a bit disappointing that the asus ep121 doesn't have a screen at least page size (width). Onenote the main reason I use it.

Thanks
Alex

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#41145 - 08/11/11 11:03 PM

Lenovo's site has the specs and dimensions for the X220t, and I believe the X220t has the same dimensions as the X220 we reviewed. Both the Eee Slate and the Lenovo have 12.1" displays. I haven't had trouble with OneNote on either.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

alexr

#41146 - 08/12/11 05:46 AM

Really you do not find that the page size is so squished and crowded. I had to zoom out in order to get a page on the screen and then I had to hide the border just to write. Guess I am just to use to the way I have been doing it.

I did check the site and finally found them. I had to convert some dimensions around so the asus is about 8.3in (but has a large border)the lenovo is about 9in. I have to see how much of a border it has. Other than that the Asus rocks.

Alex

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#41147 - 08/12/11 08:50 AM

The long side bezel border measures .75 inches and the short sides are .66 inches on the Asus (just took a ruler to mine). 12.1" is the most common display size for Windows tablets, so I guess I'm just used to it after all these years.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

alexr

#41165 - 08/15/11 05:43 PM

Okay officially not looking anymore. I got the Asus eee slate 64gig version. I love it, its fast and powerful like the review on here said. Battery life for me lasted almost 6 hours (no wifi, lower screen brightness, no sound) So more than enough for my 3 hour class. Though I do have the screen timeout at 1 minute. Worth noting, their lowest brightness is still bright. I kept trying to turn it down more.

The width of the screen in portrait mode bothered me since it wasn't a pages width. but I just use onenote in landscape and it works great. being able to scroll the screen with your finger is a game changer.

The form factor is the winner though, light, small, each to carry. When you walk with it in a case it looks like a normal portfolio instead of a computer. Thanks very much for recommending it to me.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#41168 - 08/15/11 09:42 PM

Awesome, Alex! Glad to hear it

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9484

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage