Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
iPad Game Review: Flick Soccer! HD
      #41379 - 09/25/11 10:23 AM

iPad Game Review: Flick Soccer! HD
Reviewed by ColeDaddy

One of the challenges in reviewing a game is approaching a review with objectivity unbiased by prejudices influenced by games from a similar genre. In games where a core flick mechanism is key, the nuanced swipes and curls baked into one's muscle memory through hours of gameplay from time on another game can potentially color perspective. However, Full Fat Games' attractive Flick Soccer! HD has a learning curve that is easy to surmount making for quick adaptation and fun, intuitive gameplay.

FullFat Games is an independent developer out of the UK specializing in games for mobile, handheld devices. I?ve purchased a number of their previous titles including Sid Meier?s Pirates, Coin Drop and Zombie Flick for the iOS platform. Their latest entry into the market mashes the thrill of the goal along with the fun-filled trappings of the arcade.

Gameplay

This is an entertaining, highly-stylized game where the main objective is to kick a soccer ball into the net. The field is filled with players covering up their crotches trying to obstruct your view as well as a goalie lurking in front of the net eager to snatch your attempt out of the air. Players are tasked to hit a target, that can be either static or in motion, moving left to right, bouncing up and down. If that didn't sound manic enough, in some challenges, there are bonuses that multiply your score or grant you an extra ball. One unique stage challenges players to hit the crossbar with score multipliers skimming along the top bar. Another challenges players to kick in glass panes. The variety of targets for you to finesse, hit or smash are never lacking in this game.

The game allows users to bend the arc of the trajectory of their ball in two ways. The first method is done by curving the swipe during the initial kick. However, the second flick mechanic, by my accounting at least, makes this method uniquely its own. Gamers can let fly the first swipe, but then alter the path of the ball later in the trajectory with an additional swipe in any direction. Gamers can influence the ball's trajectory in two ways from the point of initiating contact to zooming towards its intended goal. This, my friends, is a game changer! Maneuvering the ball through the air circumventing bodies and crossbars just got amped up on mega-steroids, folks.

Graphics

Needless to say, the high resolution graphics are stunning. The subtle, animated details such as opposing players' hands swaying left to right or bodies rocking back and forth, to players wincing after being hit in the face, show this to be a labor of love fired by the keen eye of artistic ingenuity. The stadium look and feel are authentic skinned in bright colors and fine-tuned hues.

Sound

The stadium sounds are large and resonate so loudly through my iPad 2's speakers, at times it felt as if the wave of cheers and screams engulfed me?and I wasn't even wearing my Bose noise-cancelling headphones! The digitally produced output is a raucous stadium vibe unlike any other game.

Conclusion

With Flick Soccer! HD, FullFat extends their track record of slickly produced games worth our time and money by creating a game that is chock full of replayability and oozing with stunning graphics. Yowza!

Ratings (scale of 1 to 5):

Graphics: - 5 - Give me an order of Eye Candy Deluxe!
Sound: - 5 - Boisterous and Bumpin'.
Controls: - 4.5 - Intuitive and Innovative.
Gameplay: - 5 - Arcade antics galore!
Overall: - 4.90 - This ain't your daddy's flick soccer game!

Playing Hints and Tips:

If you're used to another flick mechanic, come into the game by choosing the "red pill" and free your mind. Adoption of the movements that may initially seem slightly divergent from what you're used to will usurp the previously baked in motions resulting in gameplay and enjoyment that will arrive with greater ease.

App Facts:

Developer: Full Fat
Release Date: September 1, 2011
Price: $4.99
Buy App: Flick Soccer! HD

-----------------------------------------------------

Check out our full list of iPhone/iPod touch game and app reviews:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPhone-game-reviews.htm

Check out our other iPad game, app and book reviews:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPad-game-reviews.htm

-----------------------------------------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4823

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage