Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
Khepfere

Reged: 09/21/09
Loc: WA, USA
Mobile Note Taking
      #41537 - 10/25/11 02:18 PM

OK- Once and for all - HOW DO WE SOLVE THE NOTE-TAKING DILEMNA FOR MOBILE??? As we all know mobile note taking was one of the promised, highly sought after crown jewels of tablets, UMPC's and so forth. Now five years on into this revolution - we still don't have a good solution. If you want to use One Note (in all of its glory) you have to settle for a Windows Tablet - and as we all know - a Windows tablet just isn't there yet (heavy, short battery life, the Windows UI constantly gets in the way of touch i.e. your palm conf;icts with your pen, etc., etc., etc.) If you use Evernote - there are still no really good Pen solutions.

Please help me walk through the pro's and con't of the following:
1) Could one possible solution be to take one of the newer Android tablets that have a digitizer (HTC Stream, Lenovo, etc.,) and then "remote" into my labtop or Home desktop that is running Windows? So the meat of the question is: would the digitizer on the tab - be able to be recognized by the remote labtop or desktop or am I stuck with having to put One Note on the tab?

2) If I have to put One Note on the tab - I have not found any "App" that works flawlessly with a digitizer and One Note

3) I could wait for Windows 8 - but I'm sick and tired of waiting for MS to "catch-up". I need a solution now and I can't affort to wait until next years back-to-school or Christmas seasons for Windows 8 tabs.

4) I could try to use HP's Evernote Pen solution but I need a the more robust folder logic of One Note. Plus, the Pen solutions for Evernote on tabs really haven't been that good.

5) I would certainly be game to try a really good Pen solution for Evernote and tabs if I could EASILY also sync/convert the notes to One Note.

HELP - I've been pulling my hair on this for the last 3 years!!!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Mobile Note Taking [Re: Khepfere]
      #41539 - 10/25/11 04:21 PM

Because the stylus became a dirty word, pen-based note taking really hasn't taken off. That's a real shame because lots of folks want to take handwritten notes or draw diagrams and charts. For better or worse, Evernote is the best solution right now, and on the HTC Jetstream and Flyer actually works extremely well with the pen since they designed the tablet with Evernote integration in mind. There are free and pay for versions of Evernote, and even the free version replicates a surprising number of top features in OneNote. Evernote is not an HP product, BTW.

If you use remote desktop access, the pen is interpreted as a mouse, so it won't get you a virtual One Note experience unfortunately.

There is a free Evernote to OneNote converter here: http://www.mobilenoter.com/Evernote . I haven't tried it, but it can't hurt to try since it's free.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Khepfere

Reged: 09/21/09
Loc: WA, USA
Re: Mobile Note Taking [Re: LisaG]
      #41540 - 10/25/11 05:01 PM

Thanks for the feedback Lisa. Once again, your site and forums are my goto source for all things mobile Yes, it is a shame that the stylus got such a bad rap. As you point out - for many of us the number 3 or 4 task(right behind making calls, texting and handling email) that we'd like to do in our mobile lifestyles is take notes, draw, noodle and so forth. Yes, I knew that Evernote was not an HP product - (I just wrote the sentance awkwardly).

I've heard of MobileNoter. Two things to I need to find out;
1) I know that it allows you to update your MS Onenotes on your Android device but I'm not sure if this is what they are calling the Evernote-to-OneNote sync or if it truly is a more pure Evernote to OneNote sync.
2) How it will handle the handwriting in Evernote (using a device like the Flyer or Jetsream) when syncing to OneNote - or for that matter when syncing to regular Evernote (in other words will plain, vanilla Evernote be able to read the handwriting taking on these 'special' versions of Evernote that are in the Flyer or Jetstream)

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Mobile Note Taking [Re: Khepfere]
      #41543 - 10/25/11 09:58 PM

I believe that Mobinator is Evernote to OneNote only, not bidirectional. As far as I know, it handles handwriting and ink syncing fine.

As for the Flyer and Jetstream (or any Android tablet running Evernote), it syncs handwriting, drawings, web pages and other graphical bits quite well to the Evernote sync servers and down to the desktop (I use this feature frequently). The handwriting is saved as an image, though and lacks OneNote's convert to text feature.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2887

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage