Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
bdriggett

Reged: 07/29/10
IPhone 3GS Data Usage
      #41682 - 11/22/11 05:18 PM

Good Morning Lisa and team,

I have a question that I'm sure you have already addressed. I've tried looking for a thread on this here, but it may be buried too deep since this is most likely an old topic. I am with AT&T, my brother in law recently gave me his 3GS, now that he has upgraded to a 4S, and the 3GS is running 5.0.1. I've had the 3GS about a week now and have been getting along just fine using Wi-Fi only (making sure the 3g and cellular data are off). Today, I decided to add the 200 mb / mo data plan, because I'll be traveling soon. Anyway, I made sure all apps were closed, that location services were off, that push was off, that notifications were off, and anything I could think of that uses data, and for some reason as soon as I turn cellular data on, it just starts chewing through data. Only a few Kb's every second, but that will add up fast. I must be missing something and I thought I would run it by you in case there is something I am just not getting. Please help, thank you.

Barrett

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: IPhone 3GS Data Usage [Re: bdriggett]
      #41684 - 11/22/11 05:32 PM

Welcome to MTR, Barrett.

Do you have the Mail app set up to check for messages?

Just out of curiosity, does rebooting make any difference?

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

bdriggett

Re: IPhone 3GS Data Usage [Re: Jacob_Spindel]
      #41685 - 11/22/11 05:39 PM

I dont think I have it set to check for new messages. I have Fetch new data turned off. How would I be sure that it's not checking for new messages? I looked under my mail and made sure that push and fetch are set to manual. I have not tried to reboot yet.

bdriggett

#41686 - 11/22/11 05:42 PM

Update: Just rebooted, It is still using data.

bdriggett

#41687 - 11/22/11 05:45 PM

Also made sure that Icloud was off

bdriggett

#41689 - 11/22/11 06:03 PM

I checked with AT&T tech support and they said that since the Iphone is an "Always On Data" phone that it will trandfer a little bit of data every few seconds even with nothing running and that I shouldn't worry about it.

My concern is that in just the few minutes that it's been on it's already transferred about half a meg. I guess I can leave it on and see if that transfer rate decreases.

Any additional input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
      #41692 - 11/22/11 10:06 PM

I find it pretty much impossible to get the iPhone to consume absolutely no data whatsoever unless I turn off data. That might an option: you can turn off cellular data in settings and enable it only when you want to use it. Otherwise it probably will use a little bit of data every day, that could total 10-20 or so megs/month.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Re: IPhone 3GS Data Usage [Re: LisaG]
      #41699 - 11/23/11 05:50 PM

I do find the "Always On Data" claim at least somewhat believable, but on a plan where you have to pay by the gigabyte, somehow that just doesn't seem like a good enough answer to me. Isn't it a little bit like the gas station telling you that you have to put your car in a cage to make sure it doesn't drive itself at night?

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

hcart

Reged: 11/17/11
Re: IPhone 3GS Data Usage [Re: Jacob_Spindel]
      #41702 - 11/24/11 05:24 AM

IOS 5.01 as you might have seen is an extensive operating system with varied functions and as apple claims it has more than 200 new functions.The excessive data usage in the Iphone 4s was reportedly due to the default "switched on" status of the iCloud service and it shipped with the IOS 5. Now even if you don't use this service there might be applications(such as games) which might be loading advertisements which usually end up eating a whole lot of data than you know.You are provided with free games and applications only because you are a source of revenue which they get through you by showing you their advertisements

From what I see right now is that you need a good network data usage software for your Iphone 3GS which sorts out application-wise data usage and you can find the culprit(application ofcourse)and kill it so that you can use your data for much vital purposes.

Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Re: IPhone 3GS Data Usage [Re: hcart]
      #41910 - 12/30/11 06:48 PM

Quote:

IOS 5.01 as you might have seen is an extensive operating system with varied functions and as apple claims it has more than 200 new functions.The excessive data usage in the Iphone 4s was reportedly due to the default "switched on" status of the iCloud service and it shipped with the IOS 5. Now even if you don't use this service there might be applications(such as games) which might be loading advertisements which usually end up eating a whole lot of data than you know.You are provided with free games and applications only because you are a source of revenue which they get through you by showing you their advertisements

I'm sure that's what AT&T wants people to believe, but it is simply not true. iOS multitasking is too limited for this to be possible. Also, even if it were downloading ads in the background without your permission, I believe it would be unfair for them to count this against your data usage.

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6425

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage