MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
Pecans

Reged: 11/29/11
Which tablet?
      #41726 - 11/29/11 10:23 PM

So I have been wanting to buy a tablet for a little while now and after some research I have found some that would be good for me and I wanted to see what you guys thought. I watched the reviews that you guys did on these 2 of these tablets by the way.

Vizio VTab1008
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vizio-VTAB1008/16671280

Only $200 at Walmart and Costco now.
8" screen
Full Android appstore

Nook Tablet
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook-tablet-barnes-noble/1104687969

Bad appstore (138 apps ATM) :P

Filemate Identity
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wintec-7-N-A-3FMN39420-NR/17492223

Seems like a good tablet..

I also looked at the Kindle Fire but I want it too have an SD card slot...

Right now I'm leaning towards the VTab because it has
Micro SD (all of these tablets have this)
Full Android store (so does the FileMate I believe)
8" screen
Highest resolution screen (FileMate just says 720P no specific details)
Cheaper than the nook

The only reason I haven't bought yet is because it appears to have a bad rating on some sites. Although that's partially because people are idiots. (On one website 2 people said they couldn't find the USB port and gave it one star...)

What are your opinions? I will be using the tablet for gaming, listening to some music ( I have an Ipod for that though..) maybe watching a movie every now and then and some web surfing.

If you have another tablet that might be good it would be preferable for it too have

Full Android appstore
SD card
cheaper (up too $300 maybe)
IDC about operating system

What do you guys think? Any constructive answers appreciated!

P.S. The poll system may be a little weird... First time using this forum and using a poll system.
VTab1008
You may choose only one
VTab
Nook Tablet
You may choose only one
Nook
FileMate
You may choose only one
Filemate

Votes accepted from (11/29/11 10:23 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Edited by Pecans (11/29/11 10:25 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Which tablet? [Re: Pecans]
      #41728 - 11/30/11 03:20 AM

The Vizio tablet is a pretty solid budget tablet. I bet you could find the USB port in a heartbeat too

Why not also consider the HTC Flyer too? It's reviewing on our site, and the hardware is top drawer (a bargain even now that the price is reduced to $299). You get a GPS, dual cameras, microSD card slot, a better display than the Vizio and a unibody partly metal casing. It's 7", a pretty common size for tablets; the Vizio's 8" is more rare (one of the reasons Vizio went that size).

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pecans

Re: Which tablet? [Re: LisaG]
      #41729 - 11/30/11 03:44 AM

Thanks for the suggestion! I will watch your review video of it and see what I think!

Edited by Pecans (11/30/11 03:45 AM)

hcart

Reged: 11/17/11
      #41751 - 12/02/11 08:47 PM

A very good suggestion Lisa but right now with the advent of the new generation OMAP,Snapdragon and Nvidia Tegra 3 system on chips the older and current versions of chips like Tegra 2 etc will certainly get cheaper.Pecans if you wait just a little longer you might get hold of an even more powerful device at a similar price point.But if you are in a hurry and want to choose from any 1 of these tablets then lisa's suggestion cannot be questioned.
Lisa thank you for confirming my request as a member.

Pecans

Re: Which tablet? [Re: hcart]
      #41754 - 12/02/11 09:32 PM

Quote:

A very good suggestion Lisa but right now with the advent of the new generation OMAP,Snapdragon and Nvidia Tegra 3 system on chips the older and current versions of chips like Tegra 2 etc will certainly get cheaper.Pecans if you wait just a little longer you might get hold of an even more powerful device at a similar price point.But if you are in a hurry and want to choose from any 1 of these tablets then lisa's suggestion cannot be questioned.
Lisa thank you for confirming my request as a member.

I believe I will be waiting a few more months before buying a tablet but I wanted to get a general idea of the right tablet for me. I also believe that when Ice cream sandwich is released for android the prices may go down a little as well.

hcart

#41755 - 12/03/11 01:27 AM

@Pecans
Yes some manufacturers might differentiate between devices and make ice cream sandwich a standard for higher prized devices and honeycomb might be mid to high range and any thing lower than honeycomb might be low to mid range (depending upon the processor and ram).what do you want do do with the tablet is the question if you watch high quality videos and read your emails,ebooks and other regular stuff then any of the three tablets you mentioned will do justice judging from the requirements you stated in the first post.But if you are into high definition (full 1080p and more(only for tegra 3 kal el))movies and games then you better go for a tegra 2 which might be cheaper if every thing in the market goes as speculated and provided no floods or earth quakes hit asian countries.
Keep posting....

Edited by hcart (12/03/11 01:40 AM)

Pecans

Re: Which tablet? [Re: hcart]
      #41757 - 12/03/11 05:18 AM

I plan to do some moderate gaming, some videos, lots of e-books, lots of music and a little bit of email.

fordcp

Reged: 12/01/11
      #41759 - 12/03/11 07:18 PM

Iím also thinking of buying a tablet this holiday season.

Iím looking for a 7-inch device that can run the big three ereader apps: Kindle, Nook, and Kobo. Iíve narrowed the choices to the Galaxy Tab 7 Plus, Iconia A100, and HTC Flyer. However, each has its issues. I read in an MTR review (Aug 2011) that the Iconia A100 cannot run the current Kindle app and has bad viewing angles. I heard that Samsung is in court battles with Apple in Germany and Australia over the fate of the Galaxy Tab. Not sure how that will affect its availability stateside. And lastly, I heard that the HTC Flyer runs Gingerbread, rather than the 7-inch optimized Honeycomb, with little chance of an upgrade.

I will mainly be reading ebooks from Amazon, B&N, Kobo, Smashwords, etc., but would like to Skype or play some videos, though not a high priority.

I have not heard any further news about the 7-inch Toshiba Thrive this late in the holiday season (Dec 2011).

My front-runners are the Galaxy Tab and the HTC Flyer, but Iím open to suggestions and can wait for prices to drop. Opinions?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Which tablet? [Re: fordcp]
      #41761 - 12/04/11 12:21 AM

The US court just stood by its decision to NOT allow an injunction again Samsung Galaxy products in the US. I wouldn't make that ongoing ugliness a factor in your decision.

I like many things about the Iconia A100, but it's screen has more glare and poorer viewing angles than the HTC Flyer and Samsung 7 Plus. I didn't find that hard to live with except when reading books, so if your focus is books, the A100 wouldn't be my first choice.

Given the $200 price drop on the Flyer, I don't foresee a significant further price drop. The Samsung is a little expensive given the current trend towards inexpensive tablets, but so far that hasn't motivated Samsung to do serious price drops on the Galaxy Tab line. But perhaps we'll see some retailers running specials? Who knows.

HTC has promised an upgrade to Honeycomb ever since the tablet first went on sale. Err... 5 months ago. What could possibly be going on there is anyone's guess. I personally own a Flyer and do use it as my eBook reader. For reading, it doesn't matter much whether it's running Gingerbread or Honeycomb. But I'd love to see the pervasive pen support that's obviously possible in Honeycomb given what HTC did with the 10" Jetstream.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

hcart

#41773 - 12/06/11 12:27 AM

Sorry for a late reply

Quote:

I plan to do some moderate gaming, some videos, lots of e-books, lots of music and a little bit of email.

Then you have no issue with the performance as most of the tablets and the ones you've mentioned will work just fine and comply with your requirements.Now your only concern should be the screen type,resolution,weight and ergonomics of the device.

fordcp

Reged: 12/01/11
Re: Which tablet? [Re: LisaG]
      #41774 - 12/06/11 12:41 AM

@Lisa
Thank you for your response. A recommendation from a tech reviewer who actually owns and uses the HTC Flyer carries a lot of weight. I'm glad its single-core processor and Android 2.3 OS don't affect the e-reading experience. And I assume I'll be able to load the Kindle, Nook, and Kobo apps alongside whatever native e-reader app that comes on the Flyer. The Flyer will be my holiday gift to myself

travel39

Reged: 12/05/11
Loc: UK
Re: Which tablet? [Re: fordcp]
      #41779 - 12/06/11 04:49 PM

Hi everyone,

I'd just like to say that I've just recently purchased the Samsung Galaxy 7" Tab Plus, after initially favouring the . Well, I'm glad I finished up with the Tab, its a really great little tablet and in my opinion currently leads the way in the 7" sector tablets.
As I previously mentioned I was going for the HTC,however due to this model being unattainable at the moment from ,I settled for the Tab which in my opinion is obviously a better all round tablet.
The only downside to all this was the fact that as I do a lot of travelling,earlier this year I purchased a Samsung net book which of course has now unfortunately become redundant (I am still kicking myself!....lol)
Anybody else bought a Tab?

Edited by travel39 (12/06/11 04:52 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7207

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage