Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
iPad Game Review: Genesia: The 7 Gems of Neort
      #41914 - 12/31/11 10:30 AM

iPad Game Review: Genesia: The 7 Gems of Neort

Reviewed by Tom Slayton

Genesia is a turn-based strategy game in the same vein as Civilization. It was originally released 20 years ago for the Amiga under the name: Ultimate Domain. It is not an easy game to learn, but one that is well-worth the effort.

Gameplay

"Hidden Gem" is a term mostly used in the App Store by developers trying to get traction for a game they feel is being unfairly overlooked. In all the iOS games I have ever reviewed, I have never used that term to describe a game; until now. If you are a veteran of turn-based strategy games, and love to spend hours working your way through rich, deep, gameplay; stop reading this review and go buy Genesia game right now.

Genesia is not for the faint of heart, however. It is a complex 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate) game that leaves every detail in your hands. Herein lay the game's greatest strength and its greatest weakness. While the menus are neatly organized, the amount of options available to you are truly dizzying until you can manage to wrap your brain around them. This makes for great replayability but can result in the uninitiated falling flat and giving up. Thankfully, the author has added tips and popups to help you understand what everything does. Additionally, actual useable options make themselves available slowly over the course of the game, giving you time to scratch away at them one or two at a time. For instance, while you will ultimately be building cannoneers and balloons to lay waste to your opponents, you aren't expected, or even able, to build them until much, much later in the game. Initially, your concerns are actually quite manageable: build huts for citizens, develop basic industries, and begin expanding your sphere of influence. Genesia has that wonderful "one more turn" quality to it, which means you may find yourself puttering away on it late into the evening simply because you lack the self-control to stop. Lastly, Genesia is a completely self-contained game. Every Island is randomly generated so you won't be pestered to purchase additional campaigns or map packs. For a single purchase price, you get a complete and well-balanced old school strategy game, lovingly rewritten to take advantage of the iPad's high resolution touchscreen.

Graphics

I am not one of those strategy gamers who claim that graphics don't matter. Even in hardcore strategy games, graphics matter a great deal. If they didn't, we'd all be playing spreadsheet-based games. If you're worried about playing a game that was originally written for a computer from the late 80's stop worrying because there is nothing low-rez or chunky about Genesia. While Genesia's graphics are not flashy, they are crisp and high resolution. The only thing graphically that betrays its 16-bit roots is the animation, which is minimal. This is quickly forgotten, however, as you watch the seasons change and your civilization grow.

Sound

Genesia's sound effects are well-done and appropriate for a grand strategy game. You won't be reaching for your headphones but you won't be scrambling to find the mute button, either. The music, while original, was a bit more intrusive mostly because there wasn't any way to turn it down independent of the sound effects. The fact that it changes based on the season was a pleasant surprise, however.

Conclusion

Genesia: The 7 Gems of Neort is an absolute must if you are a turn-based strategy fan. While it may feel somewhat inaccessible for new players, it is well worth the effort to learn as it rewards the intrepid with innovative and endless gameplay that will stand the test of time.

Ratings (scale of 1 to 5):

Graphics: - 4 - High resolution graphics with minimal animation.
Sound: - 3 - The sound effects and music don't stand out, but neither do they detract from the gameplay.
Controls: - 5 - An accessible interface and accurate touch controls.
Gameplay: - 5 - Turn-based strategy fans are in for a treat once they navigate the steep learning curve.

Playing Hints and Tips:

Don't be overwhelmed by the options! Concentrate first on building huts and gathering resources. The rest of the game will fall into place. Be careful not to wreak too much havoc on the environment as you race to expand; doing so will result in disease and unhappiness. Play your first game defensively so you can get the hang of it.

App Facts:

Developer: Thomas Zighem
Release Date: August 17, 2011
Price: $6.99
Buy App: GENESIA for iPad - The 7 Gems of NEORT

-----------------------------------------------------

Check out our full list of iPhone/iPod touch game and app reviews:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPhone-game-reviews.htm

Check out our other iPad game, app and book reviews:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPad-game-reviews.htm

-----------------------------------------------------

---

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LordGek
PDA Addict

Reged: 08/13/02
Loc: California
Re: iPad Game Review: Genesia: The 7 Gems of Neort [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #41917 - 12/31/11 01:35 PM

This game has long been on my radar, but being a weird stat fanatic, I might have to wait until he implements some sort of score or something, if even local, so I can see how this session compared to the last.

--------------------
Staff Reviewer at Mobile Tech Review

Thomas_Zighem

Reged: 01/01/12
Loc: France
Re: iPad Game Review: Genesia: The 7 Gems of Neort [Re: LordGek]
      #41948 - 01/07/12 08:10 AM

Hi all,

Thank you for this great review of Genesia and to help independent developers, this make known to your readers the original games.

@LordGek : I am currently working on an update that improves the management of the crafts (v 1.1.2). Then certainly the next month I'll start with an implement of a "score & achievements" on game center (v 1.2.0) Thank you for sharing.

Note to all fans : Your involvement is important for further free updates of GENESIA and so that together we can continue to develop this world ! So I call on to you, talk about GENESIA to your friends, on your Blogs, your Facebook page, Twitter and Forums. If you are columnist or journalist, please help make it known.

Have a great new year !

ZIGHEM Thomas, creator of Genesia.

Edited by Thomas_Zighem (01/07/12 08:13 AM)

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Re: iPad Game Review: Genesia: The 7 Gems of Neort [Re: Thomas_Zighem]
      #41950 - 01/07/12 10:14 AM

Thank you for the update, Thomas!

-----
MTR News

Thomas_Zighem

New : GENESIA LITE for iPad [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #42276 - 02/29/12 08:22 AM

TRY IT NOW FOR FREE ! THE ULTIMATE IPAD STRATEGY GAME : GENESIA LITE !

GENESIA LITE is now available on the Apple Store for hundreds hours of playing to discover alone or with friends. Form armies and conquer foreign provinces.

Try it for free !

iTunes link : http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/genesia-lite-for-ipad/id499552411?mt=8

Thomas ZIGHEM, creator of GENESIA.

Thomas_Zighem

Re: New : GENESIA LITE for iPad [Re: Thomas_Zighem]
      #43556 - 10/18/12 01:37 PM

GENESIA : FREE UPDATE V1.1.6 !

Hear ye, hear ye brave people ! As of this day, I have the pleasure to inform you that the update 1.1.6 of Genesia iPAD is available NOW on the Apple Store !

New job, the gardener : settlers learned the art of gardening.
Protect the natural environment.
Plant flowers and watch the trees grow !
The new varieties of flowers have a greater impact on the natural environment.
The destruction of a road will no longer cause discontent of the people.

DID YOU KNOW ?

In the springtime and in the summer, a tree has chances to give birth to a young sprout.
Rain and melted snow can fill the groundwater.
Drenched groundwater is essential for it enables the vegetation to develop !

KEYS FOR A CONTEST !

To accompany this good news, I propose to offer a promo code to your loyal readers. Need some codes to review the game or make a contest ? Please feel free to contact me !

The iTunes link : http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/genesia-for-ipad-the-7-gems/id455692368?mt=8

New Website : Genesia Website

Thomas ZIGHEM, creator of GENESIA.

Edited by Thomas_Zighem (10/20/12 05:32 AM)

Thomas_Zighem

CONTEST : A NAME FOR YOUR GAME ! [Re: Thomas_Zighem]
      #45030 - 07/25/13 08:40 AM

Hello all !

The new Genesia is coming soon on Windows, Macos, Linux, Android & iOS ! Choice his name and win 10 keys for the iPad version released in 2011 on the Apple Store.

What name for the NEW Genesia ?

+ Genesia Next
+ Genesia Heritage

To confirm your participation, simply validate the poll on the Facebook page of Genesia and leave a comment. 10 winners will be randomly selected. You have until August 31 to vote !

Visit the official site, announcements will be made soon.

Blog : http://www.genesia-game.com/en/blog.html
Facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/pages/Genesia-The-Ultimate-Strategy-Game/264468680283553

Thank you in advance for helping independents.

Thomas ZIGHEM, creator of Genesia.

Edited by Thomas_Zighem (07/25/13 08:45 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10321

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage