Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Miscellaneous

Pages: 1
macher

Reged: 01/14/12
Loc: United States
AT&T future in LTE?
      #42011 - 01/14/12 06:31 PM

I've been an AT&T customer for some time. Up until February of 2011 AT&T was less than desirable. Since then AT&T has been great. I'm an iPhone user and so is the rest of my family.

However there's an LTE iPhone right around the corner and I'm not sure I'm confident in AT&T in the LTE game. Seems like VZW has been very active getting spectrum while AT&T was waiting for the TMo merger. Now it seems like AT&T isn't very active. I wonder about AT&T future in LTE and if they can eventually catch up to VZW.

Any thoughts on AT&T future in the LTE game?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: AT&T future in LTE? [Re: macher]
      #42013 - 01/15/12 08:41 PM

AT&T has been adding new markets ahead of schedule. So far, their speeds have been excellent in those markets, but we'll see how that goes once more customers own LTE phones. Here in the Dallas market, AT&T's LTE is faster with a stronger connection than Verizon LTE, but each market can be different.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

macher

Re: AT&T future in LTE? [Re: LisaG]
      #42014 - 01/16/12 06:10 AM

Thanks Lisa,

Yes I assume AT&T would be fast cause it's emptier than VZW. I have noticed with friends that have VZW LTE that there speeds have decreased over period of time which is expected by both carriers.

I'm in a position where I can switch from AT&T to VZW and be able to get unlimited data from VZW. I'm currently grandfathered with unlimited data from AT&T.

Lisa you're the best reviewer out there, seriously.

On a personal note what's your confidence in AT&T in the LTE game?

macher

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#42015 - 01/16/12 10:32 AM

I'm optimistic about AT&T's LTE. So far they've handled the deployment very well and the service has been solid. I use a Skyrocket, so I'm on LTE all the time, and speeds and uptime's are great. Battery impact is lower than expected too. AT&T has a much simpler network to run too, because LTE and HSPA are quite similar (GSM-like standards), while Verizon has to include both CDMA and LTE radios and chipsets in their phones. That leads to some of the outages and authentication problems that they've suffered over the past year and even the past 2 months.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

macher

Re: AT&T future in LTE? [Re: LisaG]
      #42017 - 01/16/12 10:58 AM

Quote:

I'm optimistic about AT&T's LTE. So far they've handled the deployment very well and the service has been solid. I use a Skyrocket, so I'm on LTE all the time, and speeds and uptime's are great. Battery impact is lower than expected too. AT&T has a much simpler network to run too, because LTE and HSPA are quite similar (GSM-like standards), while Verizon has to include both CDMA and LTE radios and chipsets in their phones. That leads to some of the outages and authentication problems that they've suffered over the past year and even the past 2 months.

Thanks Lisa,

So you're primary device is the Skyrocket? I'm in Philly and we don't have LTE yet but I think we're getting it soon.

How is the spectrum going to play in all this? Does AT&T have the spectrum to be able to compete with VZW? I know AT&T has been off to a slower start that VZW which I can live with. However from doing some research I keep coming up with that AT&T is not spectrum rich to have a large and rock solid LTE network. Is my information correct? Or is there something I'm missing?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#42018 - 01/16/12 06:03 PM

Verizon claims that AT&T has a similar amount of spectrum as Verizon does, and should work harder to design their networks to use that spectrum efficiently. Personally, I think AT&T was crying wolf to get the FCC to agree to the T-Mobile merger. They seem to be doing just fine in their initial markets without it. At some point they will transition the existing GSM/EDGE/3G network to use LTE because LTE can also handle voice along with data (right now most LTE phones only use LTE for data, it will take a few years). In fact, that would be the logical evolution for Verizon as well, but that's a bigger change for them since they use CDMA rather than GSM.

In some markets like Chicago, AT&T has a single wide band for LTE rather than the more desirable double wide band (to put it in accessible terms), so LTE isn't as fast there as it in in Dallas where they have plenty of spectrum width.

I switch between the Samsung Galaxy Note and Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket for my personal line.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5664

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage