Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
Curandy

Reged: 01/25/12
Loc: Curacao
Can HDMI cause damage?
      #42125 - 02/02/12 03:22 AM

I have a laptop with an HDMI port. I used to connect it to my 42" flatscreen and watch Netflix etc.
Then one day I connected it to my 50" and the thing started to behave strangely until it screwed up my screen on my laptop rendering it useless. I have not tried to do much about it yet. Mabe a complete reinstall might help, I don't know but it really seemed like it was caused by the HDMI connection to my 50"...
Sometimes you see notes like:
NOTE: Even though HDMI cables support Hot Plug Detection, improper usage might result in resetting / restarting both devices, or even may cause damage to the devices. Therefore, we do not suggest Hot Plug action for any HDMI cables. Please make sure both input and output devices are off when plugging or unplugging HDMI cables.
Is this really true and if so how does it happen? I would like to understand a bit more about this... I don't want to screw up my Asus Transformer when it arrives...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Can HDMI cause damage? [Re: Curandy]
      #42126 - 02/02/12 05:12 AM

In testing many devices, I've never seen damage caused by plugging or unplugging HDMI cables. If you're worried, simply turn the Transformer off before disconnecting the HDMI cable.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2586

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage