MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
TornadoChaser

Reged: 02/14/12
Should I buy the Samsung Galaxy Note or wait for the rumored S3?
      #42190 - 02/14/12 08:07 PM

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade to an Android device and I'm pretty impressed with Samsung's lineup.

My questions to the group:

- Should I get the Galaxy Note when it arrives next week or hold off for the Galaxy S3?

- Based on the rumored technical specs, how much more powerful will the S3 be over the Note?

- If the Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket gets ICS, will it be really that far behind technologically when compared to the S3? What I mean is... will I kick myself for buying a S2 now and not waiting till later this year for the S3?

I hope those questions made sense. BTW, I really enjoy your reviews Lisa. They're extremely informative and useful. Keep up the great work.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by TornadoChaser (02/14/12 08:10 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Should I buy the Samsung Galaxy Note or wait for the rumored S3? [Re: TornadoChaser]
      #42191 - 02/14/12 10:42 PM

It's really, really, really hard to say what the Galaxy S III will have since there are only unsubstantiated rumors and no hints from Samsung yet. If it's released overseas this summer, we probably won't see it until the fall in the US, so keep that in mind if you need or want something now rather than in 6 months.

The Skyrocket has excellent specs and should hold up well. The Galaxy Note is a pretty unique and powerful smartphone that's not likely to be usurped any time soon or even this year. With LTE, a huge display and an active digitizer, it's hard to beat if you don't mind a very large phone.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

TornadoChaser

Re: Should I buy the Samsung Galaxy Note or wait for the rumored S3? [Re: LisaG]
      #42192 - 02/15/12 12:49 AM

That's a really good point about the S3 probably not arriving in the US until the fall. Seems to be the pattern for Samsung's product rollout.

I'll definately check out the Note and Skyrocket this weekend and see which one I like better. Worst case I can always buy the S3 when it comes out and sell my old phone on Ebay.

Thanks for the very quick reply and for guiding me to a good solution.

TornadoChaser

Re: Should I buy the Samsung Galaxy Note or wait for the rumored S3? [Re: TornadoChaser]
      #42251 - 02/24/12 09:06 AM

An update... I ditched my iPhone 4 and upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket. Best. Phone.
Ever. VERY happy camper.

The phone truly is gorgeous and very responsive. Everyone who I show it to is really amazed by it and a few are following my lead and moving over to android.

The note was really nice but a bit too big for me.

Two questions:

- when is ice cream sandwich expected to come to the skyrocket? Will it be radically different from honeycomb?
- Any super cool apps I should install? I have the usual suspects like Pandora, spoiftfy, beautiful Widgets, etc. Looking for off the beaten path apps that you reccomend.

Thanks again for the advice.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
      #42253 - 02/24/12 09:42 AM

Samsung hasn't provided a date for the ICS upgrade yet. My guess? May-June, but that's just a guess.

My app tastes are pretty mundane, but you might want to check out Screen Adjuster. It's a free utility that allows you to adjust color balance in case your displays whites are too blue for your liking. I go with Red + 8, Green +2, Blue +1 to maintain vivid colors with less blue bias.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4359

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage