MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Notebooks >> Notebooks - Laptops

Pages: 1
santechy

Reged: 02/15/12
intel HD 3000 vs dedicated graphics
      #42199 - 02/15/12 01:45 PM

looking at the envy 15 (2011-2012) or the envy spectre as my new laptop. I like the size of the spectre but it does come with lower specs (CPU, memory, graphics card). I plan to get into video editing, photo editing, maybe some website creation and wanted to know if a lack of a dedicated graphics card will lead to a poor experience or should I opt for the envy 15 which offers a switchable graphics with a 1 GB radeon GPU. I'm not going to be doing anything to heavy, photshop, some movie maker software, etc..etc...

is intel 3000 graphics chip enough for that?

Also, can I use the minidisplay port and hdmi to attach two external monitors?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: intel HD 3000 vs dedicated graphics [Re: santechy]
      #42206 - 02/15/12 10:10 PM

The Envy Spectre is a beautiful looking machine, and it is mostly about looks. It's pretty much got Ultrabook internals, and that means decent business and everyday use, but it's not a powerhouse portable. If you want to do video editing, I'd definitely go with dedicated graphics. The Envy 15 is quite powerful and would be good for video editing, and it would handle Photoshop and website creation easily. Intel HD 3000 graphics is actually decent for photo editing in Photoshop, but if you work with large (20 meg+) images in volume daily, the dedicated graphics will speed up filters.

The dedicated Nvidia graphics can run the internal display and 2 external monitors simultaneously. Intel graphics can run two displays total: the internal panel and a monitor or two monitors but no internal display.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

santechy

Re: intel HD 3000 vs dedicated graphics [Re: LisaG]
      #42207 - 02/15/12 10:28 PM

Will you be reviewing the spectre anytime soon? Great review on the envy 15

santechy

#42208 - 02/15/12 10:47 PM

Wanting a laptop that is 14 inch screen 1600x900 screen, i7 switchable graphics, HDMI, mini replay port so I can attach two monitors, would be nice if I can get slot loading DVD.

How come envy 15 didn't get editors choice?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
      #42212 - 02/16/12 10:24 AM

Hmmm... The Lenovo ThinkPad T420 is a 14" with an option for dedicated graphics and that resolution. It sells for around $1,150 in that config with a Core i5. It has Nvidia Optimus for multiple monitor support and VGA plus DisplayPort. We have a review of the slightly older T410 if you want to get an idea of the machine.

The Envy 15 is a sweet and powerful machine for the money, and it's improved leaps and bounds over the 2009 version. But some folks have had issues with the 1080p panel LCD colors (red looking toward orange). That made me hold back on an award. Still loving mine though!

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

santechy

Re: intel HD 3000 vs dedicated graphics [Re: LisaG]
      #42214 - 02/16/12 12:09 PM

HP envy 15 looks like a great machine and there are some negatives that are holding me back.
1. the "bounce" of the keyboard when you did your review against the samsung laptop, i'm hoping it's only like that when you press down firmly and not when doing casual typing.
2. red and orange issue, I'm somewhat color blind, so this is minor issue to me as I probably couldnt' tell difference anyway.
3. bad reviews on the trackpad.
4. size, this is a personal thing i can get ovr very fast, this thing hasn't made it's way into stores yet for me to get my hands on it.

all in all, i'm leaning toward the envy, HP has a 21 day money back warranty so I guess I should just take the plunge although if I can get everyting that an envy 15 had in 14 inch laptop taht would be my perfect laptops.

anyway, thanks for the help and great reviews. will check out the lenovo.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8488

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage