Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
iPad Game Review: Army of Frogs HD
      #42294 - 03/03/12 05:13 PM

iPad Game Review: Army of Frogs HD

Reviewed by ColeDaddy

Big Daddy Creations strikes again with another board game filled with brightly lit animation and family-friendly graphics. Can your "Army of One" handle these critters?

Gameplay

The Army of Frogs is a deceptively challenging but intriguing game. The brightly lit graphical displays betray the underlying String Theory mechanic the game is built upon. The game accommodates up to four players with an AI that progressively ramps up in difficulty for the single player mode. The winner of the game is the first to link up at least seven frogs of your chosen color on a pond of lily-pads.

There are no power-ups, but this is a game heavily dependent on skillful placement, strategic thinking and a dash of luck.

BDC gameplay is usually fun, but if there is one criticism against the developer, in general, it is the lack of understanding the game imparted by their tutorials. BDC gamers typically have to search out additional resources found online or keep playing the game over and over until you have a good grasp of the basics. So, the end result is something to look forward to, if you're willing to put in some extracurricular work into figuring out how to play the game.

Graphics

The graphics are open and welcome, filled with bright colors and cute animation. I mean, who doesn't like frogs? The touch controls are straight-forward as it involves placement of frogs onto the island. Visually, the game is easy on the eyes and an enjoyable treat.

Sound

The game comes with an in-game soundtrack with options to pipe in songs of your choice from your iDevice or to mute out the music and sound effects. I chose the latter, as I much preferred the calming effect of frogs croaking in the background as my chosen "thinking music".

Conclusion

As is typical of Big Daddy's Creations' games, Army of Frogs shows the care and feeding the developers have put in. However, if players are not familiar with String Theory coming in, there will be a bit of a learning curve that once met, facilitates a fulfilling and satisfying gaming experience.

Ratings (scale of 1 to 5):

Graphics: - 4 - All that green on the screen is all that needs to be seen!
Sound: - 4 - Croaking can be thought-provoking.
Controls: - 5 - Simple and spot-on.
Gameplay: - 3 - If you're not familiar with String Theory, stick with the game like a frog on flies and you'll be hopping along in no time (groan). The middling rating is more of a comment on the tutorial and manual than it is on actual gameplay.
Overall: - 3.5 - Filled with a graphical charm that will appeal to the kid in all of us, this game is more challenging than it looks.

Playing Hints and Tips:

Pour through the tutorial and manual. However, it wouldn't hurt to surf online for additional resources to improve your mastery of the basic gameplay so you can move on to the deeper, more nuanced aspects of strategic gameplay.

App Facts:

Developer: Big Daddy's Creations
Release Date: July 21, 2011
Price: $2.99
Buy App: Army of Frogs HD

-----------------------------------------------------

Check out our full list of iPhone/iPod touch game and app reviews:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPhone-game-reviews.htm

Check out our other iPad game, app and book reviews:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPad-game-reviews.htm

-----------------------------------------------------

---

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LordGek
PDA Addict

Reged: 08/13/02
Loc: California
Re: iPad Game Review: Army of Frogs HD [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #42296 - 03/03/12 08:10 PM

Yeah, I got this some time ago and while it wasn't bad, I think I too was not super clear on the mechanics even after the tutorial. I will research this string theory then. ;-P

--------------------
Staff Reviewer at Mobile Tech Review

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5349

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage