MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
NeilB

Reged: 03/07/12
CPU Upgrade Possible
      #42311 - 03/07/12 11:59 AM

Iím new to your website. Iíve found your video reviews amazingly detailed and very professionally done.

After looking at several of your Ultrabook reviews I decided on the XPS 13. Iím a photographer and am going to Italy in April and need something that will support Lightroom 4. But, I would really like to wait for an Ivy Bridge processor. Which brings me to the point of this post; Can I upgrade the XPS 13 CPU when Ivey Bridge is released? And if so where can I source a mobile processor since newegg and others only seem to carry desktop processors?

Thanks,

Neil

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: CPU Upgrade Possible [Re: NeilB]
      #42316 - 03/07/12 10:31 PM

The majority of notebook computers have CPUs that are permanently soldered onto the motherboard and are not upgradable. This is s especially true of Ultrabooks because their motherboards are so small, there just isn't room for a socketed processor like those found on desktops.

BTW, With Ivy Bridge desktops supposedly delayed until June, we probably won't see the ULV (ultra low voltage) notebook CPUs for Ultrabooks until the fall of this year. Intel always releases desktop CPUs first, followed by regular notebook CPUs and lastly the ULV CPUs.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1946

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage