MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
dorf

Reged: 02/14/12
Loc: Arkansas USA
Need Tablet Guidance........
      #42492 - 04/17/12 11:25 AM

I'm 74 and retired, looking for a tablet to see how they function. I'm not interested in videos, music or wiz bang apps. Just occasional web browsing, MS Office docs,email/calendar via wildblue/google and maybe a book or two.
After review of available items including Kindle Fire, Samsung Gal tab 2, I'm considering a Blackberry Playbook 16 GB. (Cost vs Benefit)...But !!!All the techies aren't impressed.
Your views/comments please.
Thanks !!!!

Edited by dorf (04/17/12 11:30 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Need Tablet Guidance........ [Re: dorf]
      #42494 - 04/17/12 07:01 PM

The Kindle Fire is a good choice, but you will have to root in (temporary rooting works, doesn't have to be permanent) to get Google Calendar on the device. It ships without that app and without the ability to sync to Google Calendar, that's why you have to root it.

It's sad, but I fear the PlayBook may be a dead end device. There are very few 3rd party apps and RIM has been slow to evolve the OS. For affordable 7" tablets, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Plus and Lenovo IdeaPad A1 are also options. I'd pick the Tab 7 Plus but it does cost more. Both are reviewed on our site.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

bcswan

Reged: 03/06/12
Re: Need Tablet Guidance........ [Re: LisaG]
      #42505 - 04/18/12 11:14 PM

web browsing, MS Office docs,email/calendar via wildblue/google and maybe a book or two. I would like to make a short case for the playbook based upon your desires.

Playbook 16GB can be found for less than $200 online (bestbuy was running a deal for $200 for a brand new one in store but I don't think anymore)

Web browsing
Very nice web browser with flash support

MS office
Comes free with "docs to go" which is a mobile document editor. Warning though, it's no Microsoft Office.

email/calendar
With O.S. 2.0, playbook now has email and calendar apps that sync with online accounts like live or google calendars if you want.

Book or two
There is no kindle app, however you can get the android kindle app for the playbook (although I admit it is rather a hasle)

Now a quick case against the playbook

Blackberry makes it and the company is getting weaker and weaker every year

There doesn't seem to be anyone that likes the playbook so no one cares to make any new apps for it.

There's a 'slide to wake' gesture that wakes it up sometimes without you wanting to

Transferring files onto the playbook with blackberry file transfer software can be less than intuitive sometimes.

No Skype. You can video chat, but only with other blackberry users (unless you use an online workaround)

I hope you give the playbook consideration. I have one and I love it. The Operating System (QNX) is (I think) by far the coolest amongst tablet Operating Systems (because HP web o.s. is no more).

Also have you considered waiting for the Google Nexus tablet that will release in June/July or windows 8 tablets that will have (I think) real office/computer power?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2164

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage