MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs >> HP iPAQ Pocket PC

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: No MS Money? [Re: ]
      #5859 - 09/29/03 09:33 PM

Dunno. It's been in the HPC operating system for quite a while, but never made it into the Pocket PC. Though the first generation WinCE PPCs, didn't even have Pocket Word or Excel!

Quote:

I'm just curious.
Why is there not Access in the office / os?
I use it all the time and it SURE would be handy!
tnx
ss

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: iPAQ 2215 review [Re: ]
      #5863 - 09/29/03 10:23 PM

No, I didn't have that problem, and the HP keyboard was my one and only keyboard (thanks to the lack of 2215 drivers when the PDA first came out). It rested against the back support and didn't wobble, but I did use it on a solid surface (desk).

Quote:

I bought the 2215 and am in complete agreement with your review, I love it. But the HP folding keyboard seems to be made for thicker pdas. The 2215 doesn't rest against the backstop of the keyboard I got, and the result is that the keyboard wobbles up and down while I type -- quite annoying. Any suggestions? Did yours have that problem?

--------------------
Lisa Gade

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#5874 - 09/30/03 12:54 PM

Generally, HP has a better rep for customer service than Dell. For 1 day turnaround, they sell a Carepaq, but generally are pretty fast even without it.

Dell can turn things around quicker because they don't generally repair PDAs, they replace them instead.

Most support folks at high tech companies are literally working with a script, for what it's worth.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Zoolander

Reged: 08/19/03
Re: iPAQ 2215 review [Re: LisaG]
      #5893 - 09/30/03 07:14 PM

I have also found HP's customer service to be poor. I bought a iPAQ 2210 about a month ago and contacted HP on several occasions to get additional information on the iPAQs.

The first two times I rang, the tech person I spoke to knew very little about their products, it seemed like they were just reading off the spec sheet listed on the web site and they could not answer my questions. The third time I rang, luckily I was put through to someone who had a thorough understanding of their products.

I also emailed them about a month ago and aside from the automated email saying they normally respond within 4 business days, I have not heard back from them - maybe they have been on holidays!

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#6122 - 10/12/03 11:22 PM

Go into the notes app and press the red record button near the bottom of the note screen to start recording.

Quote:

Does anyone know you to use the voice recorder?

--------------------
Lisa Gade

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: iPAQ 2215 review - Memory Options [Re: ]
      #6211 - 10/16/03 01:17 PM

Both should work just fine. I've used 512 meg CFs with the 2215.
Have you tried formatting the card and microdrive? You can do that using a card reader on your PC if you have one, or better yet, get FlashFormat from www.cnetx.com (it's a trial but you can use it for a while before buying).

--------------------
Lisa Gade

CSN

Reged: 10/21/03
      #6316 - 10/21/03 07:44 PM

Thank for an informative review. I intend to purchase a iPAQ 2215 for use with an older Garmin 12XL GPS. Q. How do I get GPS data into and out of the PDA? I will be using the CF slot for a video card. My GPS provides three wires: data in, data out and ground. To use a PC, I would connect a serial socket. What do I do/need for the PDA?
Thanks, Carl

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#6840 - 11/19/03 12:55 PM

I believe there are a number of solutions out there. I did a search on Handango and got this listing- check it out to see if any will work for you: http://www.handango.com/PlatformSearch.jsp?siteId=1&jid=43369BAX146F4518FA6D5229AX71F36A&platformId=2&txtSearch=invoice&optionId=1_2_2
Also check www.pocketgear.com.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#6984 - 11/27/03 02:02 PM

Pocket PCs sync to Outlook, and Outlook 2002 is included with the iPAQ. You'd need to upgrade your Outlook Express to the Outlook included with the unit.

Quote:

Can you sych Outlook Express and its calendar to the IPAQ 2215?

--------------------
Lisa Gade

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#8574 - 02/11/04 02:14 PM

Glad to hear that, Eddy!

--------------------
Lisa Gade

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#8602 - 02/12/04 04:49 PM

The iPAQ comes with a rigid nylon slip case that's mentioned in the review. It's definitely nothing to get excited about and fits a bit tight which means it has a tendancy to pull off the side grips after a period of time. I'd go with a different case.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#9001 - 03/02/04 01:48 PM

Yes we do
But Windows Media Player can't play MPEG movies, so you'll need to get the free PocketMVP from http://home.adelphia.net/~mdukette/downloads.html#Pocket_PC (get the one for all Pocket PCs) or Pocket TV from www.pockettv.com. PocketMVP supports many file formats, including Divx.

Quote:

Do you people manage to see .mpeg movies on the ipaq 2210 ?? I cannot.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

ClareH

Reged: 04/11/04
      #9955 - 04/11/04 05:50 PM

Hi! Right please excuse me as i have very little PDA experience. Brilliant review. I was wondering if i could get some help. I am a medical student and am interested in buying a PDA for the basic PIM facilities and also for installing medical dictionaries, drug references etc for easy access whilst on placement in hospitals. I want to be able to view and edit word and powerpoint files. I have heard that PPCs don't have the ability for powerpoint. I also like the idea of being able to view DVD movies on a PDA (which so far i have only heard that you can do on the PPCs).

I was first interested in the Tungsten T3 but shyed away from that because of worries of the compatibility with office (which i have recently heard is better than PPCs). I then looked at the HP 5550 but in reading the review on your website found that the 2215 might be a better option.

So basically I am stuck in the choice between Palm and PPC. From what i have said about my requirements, can anyone give me any advice on which i would be better with??

I'm just about to tear my hair out as i have been looking into buying one for the last couple of months but just cannot make a decision!! Therefore any help would be VERY much appreciated.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: iPAQ 2215 review [Re: ClareH]
      #9957 - 04/11/04 06:22 PM

Actually, a Palm OS PDA with Documents To Go does a better job of working with Word and Excel docs than do Pocket Word and Pocket Excel built into Pocket PCs. Many models come with this software so you don't have to buy it separately. There are 3rd party apps for PowerPoint for both Palm and Pocket PC.

To watch DVDs on Pocket PCs or Palms, you'd first have to use your PC to encode them to a proper resolution, bitrate and file size to work with the PDA. That takes a bit of time, but there are certainly plenty of folks who do it. There are 3rd party video players for Palm and Pocket PC that let you watch MPEG1 movies (among other file formats).

If you don't need biometric security and built-in WiFi, the cheaper iPAQ 2215 would be a good choice. The Tungsten T3 is also a good choice.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#10829 - 05/12/04 02:59 PM

They still have them at our local retailers.

Word is that there will be some new Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition devices out this summer, but I have no info on which models.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#10905 - 05/13/04 11:00 PM

Make sure you installed the Windows Mobile 2003 (aka Pocket PC 2003) drivers.

Try soft resetting the iPAQ, then insert the card.

Quote:

Please help! I just got a SMC2642W flash card and it will not work with my IPAQ 2215. I loaded the software like the directions said and when I put the card in it says CARDINITIALIZE FAILED!!

--------------------
Lisa Gade

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#10937 - 05/14/04 10:28 PM

Windows CE 4.2 (not Windows .NET 4.2 which is another animal) is the core of PPC 2003. Windows CE 3.0 was the core of PPC 2002.

I can't believe they still haven't released 2003 drivers! Though I had used their card and PPC 2002 drivers with my iPAQ 2215 when it first came out, because no one had drivers for 2003 yet. So, you might give their drivers a try again. I used the Wireless LAN Settings" app under Settings to configure the connection rather than using the connection manager built into the OS.

Quote:

Is Windows CE 4.20 the same as Pocket PC 2003? If so they at SMC are telling me they don't have drivers yet...Man what a mess.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

hermano

Reged: 05/15/04
      #10961 - 05/15/04 07:59 PM

I have a D-Link DCF-660W wireless CF Card which doesn't work in my pocket pc anymore. When I insert the card, the green light would flash only once, and the Pocket PC does not recognize the card. So first thing I did was to soft reset the pocket pc, but it still wouldn't recognize the card, even though it used to work before just fine. So I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver for the card, still no luck. It gave the "unrecognized card" error. Tried installing different drivers from D-Link's website, no luck. Then I hard reset the pocket pc to default settings, reinstalled the driver, but the pocket pc still wouldn't recognize the card. The drivers installs fine, but when you insert the card, the green light flashes once and stops, no response. But I thought that the problem didn't lie with the CF slot on the Pocket PC, because I have a SanDisk Compact Flash memory card which works fine! For that reason I thought the Wireless Card was faulty, so a few weeks ago I went and bought a new Linksys wireless CF card, installed the drivers, inserted the card, but the Pocket PC wouldn't pick it up, also one green flash on the card, and then it stops.

I need your help please. I've gone through all the troubleshooting steps in my manuals for the pocket pc, the wireless cards and on all the troubleshooting help on your website, but I'm still having problems.

Your help and assistance will be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Herman
cruisingwithherman@yahoo.com

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#11466 - 05/28/04 11:44 PM

There is a CF card that combines 128 megs of memory with WiFi and it's SanDisk's Connect Plus which is reviewed here:
http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/tips/sandisk_CF_Plus_wifi.htm

Quote:

I am a new ipaq 2215 user. What is the best CFcard and do I buy a WiFi card separately or is there one that comes with both. I just want to connect with the internet and pickup email. Basic stuff. Thanks

--------------------
Lisa Gade

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Worries about rubber grips [Re: ]
      #11840 - 06/07/04 01:45 PM

If they come off, you can always glue them back on or send it to HP under warranty to have it repaired. There's also a company that makes nice looking aluminum replacement side grips. I would expect that HP ironed out the design problem with these grips a while ago. Unfortunately, the included case had a way of tugging hard on the grips when you put the unit in and out, and that likely exacerbated the problem.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 64886

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage