MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
consumer

Reged: 06/03/12
samsung galaxy tab 8.9 lag problem
      #42727 - 06/03/12 04:55 PM

My 2 week old samsung galaxy tab 8.9 has android 3.2 and 32 gb memory. I use it primarily for reading newspapers and web browsing. The major problem experienced is severe lagging, sometimes as much as 30-45 secs, not infrequently freezing, when switching between an article and readers comments tabs such as on the Wall Street Journal or NY Times. Samsung promises an update to ice cream sandwich in the future. 2 questions:
1. will the update solve the lag problem?
2. is Samsung characteristically slow to update via software download? (newer model tabs alreaday have ics).
Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: samsung galaxy tab 8.9 lag problem [Re: consumer]
      #42731 - 06/03/12 10:05 PM

Wow, that is unusual and terrible lag! The Tab 8.9 is a pretty fast tablet and it shouldn't lag like that. I'm assuming you've rebooted it and emptied your browser's cache? I can't say ICS will fix this because it shouldn't be lagging serious with Honeycomb.

Samsung is typically slow with major version OS updates. With ICS, it seems many manufacturers are taking quite some time to get updates out, but Samsung is rarely among the first.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

consumer

Re: samsung galaxy tab 8.9 lag problem [Re: LisaG]
      #42738 - 06/04/12 10:03 AM

LisaG: Thanks very much for the quick reply. I just emptied the cache and placed the Tab 8.9 next to my computer (both located about 3 unobstructed feet from my modem/router. I then brought up an article in the wsj that had several comments. I clicked simultaneously on the "comments" tab on the computer mouse and tapped the "comments" on the Tab. It took about 5 secs on the computer and 25-30 secs on the Tab for comments to come up (wi-fi showed the max 4 bars). Can't figure out what the problem is - that's why I was wondering about the ics upgrade helping. Wonder if a Toshiba excite 10 with a quad processor would solve the problem. Any thoughts? Again, thank you!
Ted N.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: samsung galaxy tab 8.9 lag problem [Re: consumer]
      #42741 - 06/04/12 07:34 PM

I really wonder if it's a cookie issue then. I visited WSJ with the Excite 10 and the comments tab loaded in 3 seconds. I then tested on the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (not the sharpest knife in the drawer), and it loaded the comments in 5 seconds. These are both ICS, and I don't have a Honeycomb tablet handy, so I tested with the Galaxy Player 4.2, a device running Gingerbread (which you'd think would do worse than Honeycomb) on a 1GHz single core CPU. It loaded promptly.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

consumer

Re: samsung galaxy tab 8.9 lag problem [Re: LisaG]
      #42746 - 06/05/12 10:45 AM

Thank you for the continuing followup! I still have about 10 days before the return period is up. Aside from the page-loading issue, the Tab 8.9 fits my needs well. But the slow loading times are a deal killer if I can't find the cause. I cleared cookies (and cache); did not improve page loading. Interestingly, the page loading right now is not a problem using wsj article-comments tabs. When it is a problem (regardless of web page), simultaneous comparison the my macbook always shows the tab 8.9 markedly slower. Again, Tx.
Ted N.

Edited by consumer (06/05/12 02:24 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6017

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage