Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
learning7

Reged: 06/18/12
Loc: Washington
tablet signal reception (Verizon): Xyboard 8.2 vs. Samsung Galaxy 7.7
      #42829 - 06/18/12 01:18 PM

1.Is either of these better than the other at receiving signals (for data) in outlying areas on Verizon (areas where the signal strength is marginal): Samsung Galaxy 7.7" tablet or Motorola Droid Xyboard 8.2" tablet? I read the article from Lisa G (Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 vs. Motorola Droid XYboard 8.2 Tablet Comparison Smackdown (3-22-12), which is the best discussion on the subject I have seen yet, but I wanted to see if there is something even more recent, and more specifically addressing just the difference in signal reception.
2. A Verizon representative told me that, generally, tablet have better signal reception than smartphones. Is that generally true? Is it generally true that the larger the tablet the better the reception (for example would the Xyboard 10.1" be better than the Xyboard 8.2")?
I realize that, with the same carrier, the differences, if any, are probably pretty small, but I wanted to know what (if any) differences there are in the ability to connect to the Internet.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: tablet signal reception (Verizon): Xyboard 8.2 vs. Samsung Galaxy 7.7 [Re: learning7]
      #42831 - 06/18/12 08:19 PM

Tablets are significantly larger than smartphones, and that's why they often have better reception. Also SAR ratings aren't as much of a worry since no one holds a tablet to their heads. But the difference between an 8 and 10 inch tablet isn't so much that it allows for a significantly different or longer antenna design. Power consumption is also an issue for both tablets and smartphones since they have smaller batteries and are rarely turned completely off, unlike laptops.

Motorola is a reception monster, and it still holds true that their tablet has a bit stronger signal than the Samsung.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

learning7

Reged: 06/18/12
Loc: Washington
Re: tablet signal reception (Verizon): Xyboard 8.2 vs. Samsung Galaxy 7.7 [Re: LisaG]
      #42834 - 06/19/12 12:35 AM

Thanks to Lisa G. for a answer that was quick and right on target.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2247

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage