MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1

Reged: 06/18/12
Loc: Washington
3G/4G reception/signal---I-Pad 3 or Samsung Galaxy 7.7"?
      #42893 - 06/27/12 02:46 AM

I have learned here before that, generally, a tablet has better reception/signal than a smartphone (apparently because the tablet it bigger).
Would such a bigger-is-usually- better analysis apply between two different tablets (assuming same carrier (Verizon) and same location (a marginal reception area))?
More specifically, would the (Verizon) I-Pad 3 (New I-Pad) be more likely to get a data signal than the (Verizon) Samsung Galaxy 7.7" tablet (or less or the same)?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: 3G/4G reception/signal---I-Pad 3 or Samsung Galaxy 7.7"? [Re: learning7]
      #42894 - 06/27/12 03:22 AM

*Maybe* the jump in antenna length in a 7.7" to a 10" tablet isn't that great. If you're moving up to a notebook computer, where the the antenna usually runs completely around the display bezel, then yes you will often see an improvement in signal strength.

Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Reged: 11/17/11
Re: 3G/4G reception/signal---I-Pad 3 or Samsung Galaxy 7.7"? [Re: LisaG]
      #43071 - 08/01/12 01:01 AM

Ipad 3 and Samsung Galaxy 7.7 both have different chips for communication purposes.While Apple opted for a Qualcomm MDM9600 chip for 3G and 4G, samsung has its own CMC22000 LTE baseband processor with a via telecom CBP7.1C EVDO platform chip.Both the tablets have very efficient chips if at all there is a difference it will be nominal.Both have aluminium alloy bodies with a border of wireless friendly material which seems to be plastic.Having a complete metal alloy finish is not good for an excellent wireless data transmission rate -a point demonstrated by ASUS in their transformer prime 101-301 models and hopefully rectified in 700TF.

While what Lisa stated here is just perfect, If you still want a powerful signal reception from a tablet; try to find out a tablet with similar performance but with a plastic back which doesn't look cheap.And this Might give you a marginal boost in signal reception.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3759

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at | Privacy statement Go to homepage