MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
learning7

Reged: 06/18/12
Loc: Washington
3G/4G reception/signal---I-Pad 3 or Samsung Galaxy 7.7"?
      #42893 - 06/26/12 09:46 PM

I have learned here before that, generally, a tablet has better reception/signal than a smartphone (apparently because the tablet it bigger).
Would such a bigger-is-usually- better analysis apply between two different tablets (assuming same carrier (Verizon) and same location (a marginal reception area))?
More specifically, would the (Verizon) I-Pad 3 (New I-Pad) be more likely to get a data signal than the (Verizon) Samsung Galaxy 7.7" tablet (or less or the same)?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: 3G/4G reception/signal---I-Pad 3 or Samsung Galaxy 7.7"? [Re: learning7]
      #42894 - 06/26/12 10:22 PM

*Maybe* the jump in antenna length in a 7.7" to a 10" tablet isn't that great. If you're moving up to a notebook computer, where the the antenna usually runs completely around the display bezel, then yes you will often see an improvement in signal strength.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

hcart

Reged: 11/17/11
Re: 3G/4G reception/signal---I-Pad 3 or Samsung Galaxy 7.7"? [Re: LisaG]
      #43071 - 07/31/12 08:01 PM

Ipad 3 and Samsung Galaxy 7.7 both have different chips for communication purposes.While Apple opted for a Qualcomm MDM9600 chip for 3G and 4G, samsung has its own CMC22000 LTE baseband processor with a via telecom CBP7.1C EVDO platform chip.Both the tablets have very efficient chips if at all there is a difference it will be nominal.Both have aluminium alloy bodies with a border of wireless friendly material which seems to be plastic.Having a complete metal alloy finish is not good for an excellent wireless data transmission rate -a point demonstrated by ASUS in their transformer prime 101-301 models and hopefully rectified in 700TF.

While what Lisa stated here is just perfect, If you still want a powerful signal reception from a tablet; try to find out a tablet with similar performance but with a plastic back which doesn't look cheap.And this Might give you a marginal boost in signal reception.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2439

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage