Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
PankeyVol

Reged: 07/06/12
Loc: Tennessee
Specs on 15 inch new Sony S display
      #42940 - 07/06/12 01:27 PM

Really enjoyed your reviews of the new S 13, and the new Z series.

I interested however to find some better understanding of the display of the S 15 performance model ( the SVS151190X in particular ). I understand it is full hd and IPS but how does the color gamut, blacks and contrast stack up to the new Z screen which you so favorably reviewed.

I have a Sony high end camcorder ( NEX VG 20) and use Sony Vegas, but it seems Sony has failed to connect the dots to make a laptop optimized for this. Yes the Z has some things going for it, but the S can get better all around specs for almost everything else. I really don't like having to plug a bunch of peripherals in, and S has built in BD burner.

When I try to adjust color of my project on my current XPS and then put it on my Samsung Smart TV its 2 different things. So I would like to adjust color as accurately as I can on my laptop. Hence I would like a great display for this. I GUESS I JUST DON'T WANT TO BUY AN APPLE.

TIA

Enjoy your site

Rob

PS After a week of calls and emails to every branch of Sony imaginable, they are absolutely unable to find any more info than it is Full HD IPS. A little frustrating and I wonder if this is a preview of what Sony support would be.

Edited by PankeyVol (07/06/12 01:44 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Specs on 15 inch new Sony S display [Re: PankeyVol]
      #42942 - 07/06/12 03:27 PM

I've had a few chances to play with the Sony Vaio S 15.5, but we don't have our review unit in house yet so I haven't been able to test the color gamut. My eyeballs say it has good but not stellar color gamut. And as per usual with several vendors' 1080p IPS displays, the reds shift toward the orange.

BTW, Apple's notebook displays haven't had a particularly wide color gamut for years. And flat screen HDs TVs use Rec.709 vs. sRGB and a different gamma, so your computer monitor and TV will not match.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

PankeyVol

Re: Specs on 15 inch new Sony S display [Re: LisaG]
      #42944 - 07/06/12 08:26 PM

Thanks Lisa

I am not going to buy until Windows 8 comes out. I have been caught in blu-ray drivers problems with updates before, and don't want to do that again.

I looked at the Apple Retina for the reasons described above and although the screen is really nice, you still have to play the Apple game.

Thanks for giving me the specs on the TV and its as I expected, but if I can at least correct them on a reasonably accurate display, it seems a good place to start.

As for the 15, it seems like what I have been looking for, at least pretty close. It just seems that Sony, with all its market share in the video world, would put together a machine that would really scream with Vegas. Just don't understand big corps sometimes.

If you get to do a review of the 15 inch, would be nice to see one loaded up do some video editing on your review. I know there are many, many more gamers, but would be nice anyway to see an impartial review from editing standpoint.

Thanks for you quick response

Rob

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#42945 - 07/06/12 10:11 PM

The S 15.5 with the quad core i7 should run Vegas very well, and it's in the same league as the base Retina and is very fast. The challenge with doing a video of video editing is that it's boring to the viewer. Editing is quick and easy on many of today's notebooks. The real work comes when the video exports, and then you're just watching a progress bar run ever so slowly across the screen.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

PankeyVol

#42949 - 07/07/12 07:59 PM

Thanks again, Lisa for your quick response.

I know video editing makes for bad video, but maybe you could do some off camera stuff and report on how close the preview window can get to real time and also render times.

And of course anything on the displays.

Rob

Edited by PankeyVol (07/07/12 08:06 PM)

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#42953 - 07/08/12 01:04 PM

You should see a 2 to 1 ratio in processing time at the slowest (2 minutes to export 1 minute of AVCHD to MPEG4 1080p video). The Sony Vaio Z with HD 4000 graphics and the same family quad core can manage that.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

PankeyVol

#43022 - 07/22/12 09:56 AM

One last question; any noise on when Thunderbolt is coming to Sony laptops?

Short version is I would like the 15 S series loaded with good display, Windows 8 and Thunderbolt to hook external hard drive. That should last me a few years.

Thanks

Rob

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#43025 - 07/22/12 03:54 PM

I haven't heard anything about Thunderbolt coming to the Vaio. It's sadly scare on Windows notebooks in general.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

PankeyVol

#43026 - 07/22/12 05:46 PM

thanks a million

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4939

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage