MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
ProvPC

Reged: 05/16/12
Asus Infinity Screen Resolution - How do apps look?
      #43055 - 07/28/12 02:34 AM

I apologize if I've missed this in the review, but I was wondering what affect the increased resolution of the Infinity's screen has on applications. I've seen applications that were designed to run on the smaller screens typically associated with cell phones handled in different ways by the tablets. Some seem to keep their default resolution, making them run in very tiny squares on an otherwise black screen. Others are stretched to fit the screen, but are therefore very blurry and grainy. And of course, others are "HD" and seem to look and work perfectly - at least at 1280x800.

But what is "HD" to the current crop of tablets has now been superceded by the resolution offered by the Infinity. It's actually a pretty fair leap from 1280x800 to 1920x1200! I'm sure pictures and movies look amazing - but how do existing apps and games look? Do they scale nicely? Are they stretched and fuzzy? Or is this a ridiculously ignorant question?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Asus Infinity Screen Resolution - How do apps look? [Re: ProvPC]
      #43057 - 07/28/12 11:05 PM

No, it's not a dumb question. Thanks to new technologies and Apple, resolution has come to mean different things than it used to a few years ago where higher resolution meant smaller fonts, icons and images. Android tablet apps (and there are plenty) that are already optimized for 1280 x 800 will fill the screen just fine on a 1920 x 1200 tablet (and text will usually be the same size and thus easily readable though some apps go with smaller and sharper fonts). The built-in apps and some third party apps are already optimized for HD resolutions and take full advantage so they look sharper (something like Retina apps on iOS). Apps that are meant for phones will scale to fit the screen, or if they've never been updated for higher resolutions will have a black border. Most decent commercial apps have been updated for tablet displays.

Android tablet apps scale well and don't look fuzzy.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2858

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage