MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
Dufox

Reged: 08/18/12
Loc: UAE
Macbook Air 13 2012 VS Macbook Pro Retina
      #43187 - 08/20/12 11:43 AM

Hi Lisa,

I am facing difficulties to decide on which Mac should I buy, it is the 13 inch MacBook Air 2012 or the glory of Retina?
I will answer some questions you may ask me in return:
1) Price: The budget is not a problem.

2) Desired configuration: The Air will be configured with i7 2.0 + 8 GB Memory + 256 SSD at cost of 1720 $ as priced in UAE. The Pro will be configures at i7 2.3 + 8 GB Memory + 256 SSD at cost of 2260 $ as priced in UAE.

3) Laptop use: I am an IT Professional (Infrastructure Manager), my expertise are totally Microsoft Systems, networking and Information Security, so I am doing all kind of Work under Windows and Linux, but I am thinking to buy Mac for the personal use (Web, social networking, blogging, email, office docs, Photo viewing and editing and probably some Video editing). Nothing of the mentioned considered by any mean a way to gain many or professional work, it will be totally my personal use machine to hang around with.

Here are my questions to you now

1) Is the Retina really worth it? I tested it myself and found the Retina resolution is no brainer and don't work smoothly even with Apple optimized apps like iPhoto, if you go to full screen in iPhoto using Retina, you will find weird behavior, so the same with other application, test are blurry, seriously, nothing looks to work with this insane resolution, still, the screen looks nice and sharp, not typical matt one, but viewing angles are decent with less glare. So is this a real Advantage for me over the classic Air Display (Which personally I think it is a real good one)?
How do you see the Retina and The Air displays in comparison?

2) Performance: I know the processor in the Retina is way beyond what a low voltage one in the Air can offer, but following the mentioned needs, do you think the air would serve me buy the upgrades I mentioned earlier? or I would need the Retina power?

3) Portability: Yes, I need it portable to hangout with me anytime I need it, I felt the weight of the Retina, it is not bulky and heavy as the regular Pro. but after holding it for a while, I really feel the weight (I should do some body building to overcome this ). The Air is out of portability Question!

4) Gaming: No need for me, games is only on dedicated gaming consoles for me.

So what do you think? And if you would say Air, shall I consider Samsung 9 Series 15 inch versus Air?

Thank you in advance.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: Macbook Air 13 2012 VS Macbook Pro Retina [Re: Dufox]
      #43190 - 08/20/12 04:56 PM

Welcome to MTR, Dufox.

It sounds to me like you've done your homework. You know that the Retina MacBook Pro has an amazing display and is much faster, and that the Air is more portable and less expensive (although apparently budget is not an issue for you). So basically it's just a personal choice of whether the added size is worth it for the awesome screen and the superb performance. If it were me, then if money were no object, I would definitely choose the Retina.

On the other hand, you could "have your cake and eat it too" if Apple made a 13" Retina MacBook, and it is rumored that Apple will do exactly that, possibly very soon. I would be very interested in such a model myself, so if you are willing to play the waiting game, that might be a good strategy for at least a couple of months.

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

Dufox

Re: Macbook Air 13 2012 VS Macbook Pro Retina [Re: Jacob_Spindel]
      #43191 - 08/20/12 05:41 PM

Thank you for your reply Jacob.

Yeah, I always do my homework as an IT Professional, will never leave anything to chance without deep study.

Yeah, it would be really interesting to see a MacBook Pro Retina 13 inch. Equipped with Sandy bridge, SSD and configurable memory options, that would make me blindly go that route.
I am not in a rush, I can wait, even I would like to own a real mac as I am suffering with MAC OS X on Virtual Machines, this OS will never run on VM any good!!

Retina Display is cool, but I think it is a future thing to have, for now all and every single app (Except Safari) sucks on the Retina, which you will be lowering the resolution gladly to avoid an eye strain and retina issues as the Retina will simply destroy your Retina for the time being

I think the Air for now is the optimal solution, even the Pro 13 will be released, it will equip same specs as Air, maybe the only difference will be a full powered Ivy Bridge process instead of the low voltage on Air, having said that, if the Retina Pro 13 price mark will be equal or around the Air, that would make since, but it is higher then it will be pointless to pay 300$ and above for the glory of Retina.

Engadget review mentioned that Retina is no more good than Air display. That sounds weird for me but Engadget is a trusted source to get information from, so I am wondering about your personal experience of the differences between the two displays.

Let us wait and see.

Thank you again, appreciated.

Edited by Dufox (08/20/12 05:42 PM)

Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: Macbook Air 13 2012 VS Macbook Pro Retina [Re: Dufox]
      #43192 - 08/20/12 06:37 PM

I didn't catch that article, but I would assume they meant the screens were the same in ways other than resolution (brightness, viewing angle, etc.).

I can't imagine they would just say the extra resolution makes no difference. Such a statement would simply be a falsehood.

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

Dufox

Re: Macbook Air 13 2012 VS Macbook Pro Retina [Re: Jacob_Spindel]
      #43194 - 08/21/12 03:32 AM

You are right, I mean the Screen quality only, not the resolution, is engadget mention no difference in resolution I will not read an article again here

Here is the article for your reference.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/13/apple-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review/

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4264

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage