MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
ProvPC

Reged: 05/16/12
Galaxy Note 10.1 Screen and Stylus
      #43189 - 08/20/12 03:58 PM

I'm thinking this might just be the tablet for me! (until the much-touted P10 comes around, anyway).

I was wondering if you had some sense of the durability of the screen when used with the stylus, and what impact it might have in heavily tracked areas of the screen. What is the nib of the pen made of? Will it retain its pressure sensitivity if a screen protector is used?

I've had a stylus on a Windows mobile phone. When we discontinued the use of the phone for anything other than playing an occasional game, we also removed the screen protector from the glass. The poor screen is horribly damaged in those areas where the stylus is heavily used. Of course, Gorilla Glass is said to be pretty tough.

Lastly, does the stylus work well in everyday apps, too? I think you're video said it was great for playing Angry Birds! Digitizer-enabled apps aside, how does the use of the stylus compare to that of a normal capacitive stylus for performing "regular" activities?

Inquiring minds want to know! And even if they don't, I do!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Galaxy Note 10.1 Screen and Stylus [Re: ProvPC]
      #43193 - 08/20/12 06:38 PM

The display is Gorilla Glass and thus very hard to scratch. Active pens have been commonly in use for more than a decade on Windows tablets, and they do not damage screens, even with heavy pressure. The pen nibs are made of nylon, and eventually wear down (that's why Samsung provides spares). These are softer than the tips on the styli used on old Windows phones.

I don't think you'll need a screen protector, but I doubt it would interfere with the pen. And yes, the pen works everywhere your finger works.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2814

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage